You can type here any text you want

New Engine What Oil?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Brand new engine built (well when I put it all together) should I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic?

There's a 0W/40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic in this country, bit pricey but like to run the best ..

What you guys recommend?

Also when I break it in what should I run (got a full roller cam/lifter/rocker setup) ?

MY engine builder recommended straight 30 weight Pennzoil when he built my motor. I drove the car 500 miles without going into any boost to break in the motor, then changed the oil and he cut open and inspected the filter.

After a couple thousand miles, I switched to Mobil 1 and even though I have a roller cam, I include 1/2 bottle of EOS. Paul

I agree a straight 30 or 40wt for break in only, but since I'm a Valvoline and Chevron installer,
you know what I would use.

Ron

Brand new engine built (well when I put it all together) should I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic?

Howdy Jan!

Well it's yer money bud! The problem with using synthetic in a turbo motor is really COST! You need to change the oil a lot more frequently than you do with a normally assperated motor. When the oil changes from a honey color it's time to change it and that is quite frequent. I have always recommended a 30 weight oil of what ever brand you choose, I use Havolin. Here in the fridgid south east Texas Arctic there is no need for a multi-grade oil like a 10W30 and really, in these cars, it's just not needed at all since the folks that live in the north country put thier cars up for the winter. Stick with a straight 30 weight oil and ignore the synthetic hype, the oil shouldn't be in the motor long enough for the heat to effect it in the first place.

If I were you, I would talk to Nick Micale on this subject. I sent him a motor that I had a local builder do for me. I was starting to have some problems with it and after after asking around, I was referred to Nick. He told me that they didn't properly set up the rods or the crank. The other problem (wiped cam) was most likely due to using synthetic oil. Read more here: http://www.camcraftcams.com/failure.htm Then talk to Nick or a few more people in the engine buliding world that would know better. Hope that helps. :)

+1 nick really know his stuff. nick is currently building me a motor as well.

If I were you, I would talk to Nick Micale on this subject. I sent him a motor that I had a local builder do for me. I was starting to have some problems with it and after after asking around, I was referred to Nick. He told me that they didn't properly set up the rods or the crank. The other problem (wiped cam) was most likely due to using synthetic oil. Read more here: http://www.camcraftcams.com/failure.htm Then talk to Nick or a few more people in the engine buliding world that would know better. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the link, I'm running a complete roller cam setup (comp cam with harland sharp roller rockers) so should have none of the issues there is with flat tap cams.

I'll break the engine in with regular mineral oil.

even if you do run a roller i would still use a 1/2 bottle of EOS with every oil change.

even if you do run a roller i would still use a 1/2 bottle of EOS with every oil change.

I'm just not sure what to buy here in the United Kingdom that would be eqvivilant to EOS ... is there some other brand products (Castrol, Mobil etc) that would be the same as the EOS?

Back