You can type here any text you want

New Guy(FNG)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighDesert-T

Hi guys,

Picking up my 83 T tonight. She is a beauty. One owner, couple bought the car while they were in their 50's, new off the lot. Got some miles on it, 109K but, there is not a ding, dent or scratch on her. Motor is sound, tranmission doesn't slip, just a strong running car. This car rarely saw boost, seems the couple thought "red" was a bad thing. :D Only weakness is that it handles like a sloth, then again these things weren't meant for the cones. So, my focus will be on the handling improvements first before I move on to the motor. The goal with this will be to make it a high 13 car at this altitude. Why stop there? I already have one beast that will run deep into the 11's and is hard to tame on the streets. I desire a stealth car that still stomps rice and doesn't draw local law enforcement attention like my other car. After-all "this is my adult responsible car". That is my story and I am sticking to it.;)

Been dream of mine to own one of these cars since they came out. Just living the dream. Look forward to all the advice and fun that will come in the future.

HighDesert- T

I know just where you're at. My '83 T Type was owned by a little old lady and I know it never saw red (the throttle cable was to short).

I have been redoing my suspension. The '83 T Type's stock stuff is pretty sad, but easy to upgrade. I just listed what I did in another thread, but I'll copy it here:

I have had several G-gody cars. All have had factory upgraded suspension (F41 or FE2). My '82 GN/SC has by far the worst, and the '83 T Type is the same. An '86 2+2 I had was the best, and a very good handling car. Suspension got better (stiffer) each year. Of the G-bodies, the Regal has the softest suspension. The stock suspension on the non-turbo Regal must be pitiful. The NA and Carb/Turbo Regals do no have anywhere near the same quality suspension as the 84/87 TR's or Monte SS's.

I hated the way my '83 felt, so I upgraded it this way:
Boxed lower controls arms; (take-offs from new Camaro Z28 with bushings) $60 and no more wheel-hop
22 mm rear sway bar (replaces 19mm stock) $10
Buick Ralleye rims; 15x7 w/ 4.5"BS (replaces 14x6 steel wheels and wire wheel covers) $55
BFG Radial T/A's; P235/60R15's (replaces P205/70R14's) $400?
Front frame brace from Grand Prix $5
35 mm front, hallow, F-body sway bar (replaces 27mm stock)
Bilstein shocks $225
Lower Body Bushing added - Positions 3,4&7 $20?
Front frame braces from Monte Carlo/Cutlass $6

It now outhandles that 2+2. I could use new springs, which I believe would be about $120 new. The Bilsteins were a luxury -the rears are a little stiff for me. I would consider some heavy duty Monroes for about $80/set. Everything was easy to install.

A very good suspension can be had for under $200 (less wheels). Everybody here in this fourm needs a better suspension. If you don't ungrade it, your missing out. These cars can handle.

We need to see some pictures of your car. :)

Welcome :) sounds like you got a very nice deal.
I picked mine up from the 3rd owner, 2st was just to sell I like
It's got less than 80k, but trans slips, headers are cracked..oh and it's in the shop :(

Check vac lines, headers for cracks(driver side is hardest to find, lean as far to the windshield and try to look down in to the heat shield on the back)

When was (if ever) the timing gear replaced?

After-all "this is my adult responsible car". That is my story and I am sticking to it.

LOL That's good .... my wife can not believe that I want to go to the track

Jim

Picked it up late last night. Took it out and got it all warmed up. You could smell the build up on the motor cooking off. My buddy and I could tell the performance is there, car just needs to be used to being run for longer than 10 minutes. Today I will get the motor cleaned off, the carb cleaned out and see if I can find a K&N element for it. More than sure there is about 20 years of gunk in that carb.

Do you any of you guys run a cold air kit? If you do where did you get it or how and what did you make it out of?

I do , It's home made . I used 3" stainless steel flex hose from the carb hat and a I notched the raditor support and put the 9" Cone filter in back of the grill .

I had to do this because the battery on my car is on the battery in on the drivers side , I belive the regal are on the passenger side.

You might be able to route the hose though the head light grill support opening.

This makes a big differnance on your car's.

Back