New HD TV but not getting HD, how do I know if I have the correct cable needed?

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
About 3 months ago we bought a new 52" HD TV, picture looks real nice but when I was traveling on the road this week my motel had 27" HD TV's in the rooms and I was flipping channel's thinking this looks real nice and then all at once WOW!!!!!!!!! The upper channels had a signal indicater like a cell phone and the picture was crystal clear and almost looked 3D like.

That was true HD!

Any idea's what cable connection I might need, and does the quality vary on connection cables?

TIA

Ty

Gotta have an HD source. Either HD cable box or -my preferrence-HD Satellite. You'll also need an HDMI cable to connect it.

You can get it through the component video too. Thats the three rca like plugs Pb/Pr/Y but like was said, you need a hd source. ;)

As mentioned, you need an HD source hooked up to the TV. Most people don't know this because electronics shops and cable satellite providers like to hide the fact, but depending how close you are to broadcasting towers, you will be able to get most, if not all network channels through antenna in HD.

I use a Channel Master 4228 8-bay antenna. I'm lucky enough to be close to all the towers in the Buffalo area to get all the network channels, and also have a TV with a built in ATSC tuner (many do these days). The only station I have to rotate for is CBC in Toronto as it's about 90' from Grand Island. I had a smaller 4-bay antenna without a rotator on the deck prior to this one about three years ago, but upgraded about two years ago to get CBC. I even added an amp in the hopes of getting a few more of the weaker channels from TO, but I am too close to buffalo and the signals from their overpower the amp and kill any chance, so I took the amp down. Regardless, you can't beat free HD!

All you need is a UHF antenna, which most rooftop units from decades ago would have done both VHF and UHF... so if you never took it down, you're good to go. What's old is new again :)

If you're close enough to the towers, you can put the antenna in your attic, but it does kill about half the signal strength. As mentioned, the nice part about digital OTA is that it is MUCH easier to lock into a channel, and there is no bad signal... it's either there or it's not - the only in between you will get is sattelite-like breakup of the image.

Antenna HD is the best quality picture you can actually get - cable and satellite actually compress the signal which deteriorates the picture quality slightly.

Got to have HD source and then you need the Yellow, Blue, and Red cable;) :biggrin:

You need the receiver from your provider and the HDMI cable is the best, but the soak you for about another $100.00 on that cable!:mad:

Look around on the net. You can find good quality cables much cheaper than Best Buy or such... I can order them wholesale if somebody really needs a set:biggrin:

Look around on the net. You can find good quality cables much cheaper than Best Buy or such... I can order them wholesale if somebody really needs a set:biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies:cool: I might need a favor Shane:biggrin:

The only real advantage of HDMI over component (RGB) cables is that one cable carries the image and sound. There is no picture quality advantage - it's all digital and it will work or it won't.

Then there's the simple coax option with an antenna ;)

HDMI does have another benefit other than carring everything on 1 cable...it keeps it all digital. Component (RGB) needs to be down converted to analog then upconverted back to digital. Sometimes based on the chipset that does he up/down conversion you might get artifacts, but I will agree that you as a average consumer won't see the difference.

(Broadcast Engineer)

Steve

About 3 months ago we bought a new 52" HD TV, picture looks real nice but when I was traveling on the road this week my motel had 27" HD TV's in the rooms and I was flipping channel's thinking this looks real nice and then all at once WOW!!!!!!!!! The upper channels had a signal indicater like a cell phone and the picture was crystal clear and almost looked 3D like.

That was true HD!

Any idea's what cable connection I might need, and does the quality vary on connection cables?

TIA

Ty

I hope you didn't buy a Sony. I needed the optical block replaced last August, under warranty, for $1100. Now I need a Q something replaced, which is part of the tuner, for another $1100, under warranty again. Nearest shop who services Sony factory warranty is 45 miles away and they wanted me to carry my 52" set into them. Luckily Sears was willing to come out and fix it in my house even though I bought it from Best Buy. :mad:

Geez, most of my sets are Sony. I buy them because they've been totally trouble free.
I'm guessing you got a bad set. especially since you've had to make more than one repair to the same set. It happens. Some folks are just unlucky enough to catch a lemon. But I wouldn't right off Sony because of that.

Geez, most of my sets are Sony. I buy them because they've been totally trouble free.
I'm guessing you got a bad set. especially since you've had to make more than one repair to the same set. It happens. Some folks are just unlucky enough to catch a lemon. But I wouldn't right off Sony because of that.

Sony had alot of those optical blocks fail. They were sued over it and were forced to extend their warranty on that part. I'm wondering how long these replacement parts will last.