New here with a Fresh Project Car and need HELP

Preluder77

OK, im new here my name is Justin whats up everybody. This Seemed like a good place to call home for the next couple of weeks while i work on this car.

The car is A 1986 Grand National Completley stock never been touched.But its a little rough has sat for some time and a little neglected. It is running a little rough here are some symptoms: High idle after driving. Hard start, cranks for a while. Seems it should be quicker. Runs at about 9 PSI. Fuel Guage Does not work neither does the cluster lights. Turn signals dont work.

What I am really looking for is common problems with a car in this condition. what to look for you know. What to look for in the turbocharging system and Fuel Injection system. Anything will Help. I thank you in advance.

I have already changed fuel filter, Ran a fuel system cleaner, Full tune up. And some more to the brakes and suspension.

Hey, Justin, welcome to the darkside! 3 things: 1) you'll be around for more than a few weeks, especially if you're new to these cars. 2) you will be amazed at how little it takes to increase the performance of a GN. 3) Boost is a drug that has only 1 cure- more boost!

Required reading:

www.gnttype.org

Look for the spring cleaning section in the technical resources section, and get busy!

Hey thanks for the info. Probably will be more than a few weeks,lol.

I was Still wondering of some common symptoms for a hard start. and high idle. When i first start the car the idle is normal. When i drive for a little bit the idle will remain very high. If i shut the car down and restart it the idle is normal again.

Ok ready to dip into you wallet??

here are some things to do to fix the performance issues, the electrical stuff is another story that I have no clue on what to do.

1. Buy a scan master scan tool
2. Turbo Regal Web Site go there and do the "spring cleaning"
3. come back with numbers from the scan too and post them.

Also more than likely you will need to do these things pretty soon if not immediately: new walbro fuel pump and a hot wire kit, turbo tweak chip, a real boost guage(the stock one is pure crap and off by up to 8psi either way). Also check your air inlet hose, you may want to replace it with a hard maf pipe like the ones found on TR Custom Parts 84-87 Turbo Regals, 94-6 Impala SS, 93-up F Body Cars, Olds G-Body Cars you can just get a "shorty kit". You will also need a fuel pressure guage and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to make it all work right. this all can be found through our vendors, and my favorite it www.fullthrottlespeed.com

If you do ALL of that with the spring cleaning the car should run a hell of a lot better!

Also look at votexbuicks-etc.com Many good hours of reading with step by step info for a newbie! Have Fun!!!

You need to find out what injectors are in the car, see if you can read the number off of them and also find out what chip is in the car.

I assume full tune up would include plugs and wires if needed.

Scantool is a great diagnostic thing, Scanmaster to start.

A new chip if you have an old or race chip in it would also do wonders for the car.

Hard start could be the cam sensor, or a bad fuel pump relay, you get oil pressure built up and it takes a few seconds and there's an alternate circuit that will power the fuel pump, assuming the ECM and fuel pump relay aren't priming it first.

Get an Acton fuel pressure gauge or equivalent and check the fuel pressure with key on, do you hear the pump running for 2 seconds prime and does it register 38-45 psi. on the gauge?

Port is on the fuel rail.

Check the fuse panel for tail lamps fuse and INSTR lamps fuse, they are interrelated, a short in the instrument lamps could take one or both out.

Turn signals check the hazards first for proper operation, and all the lamps in the car to make sure they are correct.

hey thanks i found it now.

I will deff. be checking out all those ideas salvage. I appreciate the Tips. I will let you know what is going on after I work on it.

And on the fuel injectors, what differnet options would there be. Did the factory cars come with a range of different injectors?

Also how do i know what chip is in the car?

Thanks Again

The ECM box is in the passenger footwell compartment, it unsnaps and you can see the wiring and silver ECM.

On the front of the ECM itself is a small cover with 2 self tapping screws on it.

Under that cover is the chip, find out if it says anything on it or has stickers etc. with numbers on it.

Could be all stock or could be modified, chips are the #1 driveability factor for these cars.

Assuming all the sensors are adjusted and working okay, within factory specs. that is.

People have stuck all kinds of injectors in these cars over the years, both high and low impedance, factory is high impedance type 28lbs.

Chip must match the injectors to run right obviously, some folks fail to do and see that however. :eek: :frown:

Ok after spending a day with the car i have relized this is a 1985 non intercooled car. after some research this became obvious. LoL.

Any ways i have got some information and some pictures im sure how to load them up here but i will gladly email them to some one to have a look and see what i got here. so drop your email adress so i can send the pics of the car, injectors, computer with cover off etc. It will help alot to have your trainded eyes have a look.

Also i plan on buying a fuel regulator, walbro pump, a computer chip if needed. And i need a link to a good site i can order this all from or a phone number

Found How to upload them :)

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 186
That leaves me out, don't know anything about them and don't want to learn. :eek: :biggrin: ;)

Hot air guys in the hot air section of the board are all experts on those cars.

Looks like it could be a stock chip no aftermarket stickers or markings on it.

Check in the hot air section on this board regarding those injectors.

Although someone in this thread might know as well.

Well thanks for the help you did give me Salvage. I just got in touch with the guy at turbotweak for a chip. Got a pump and regulator coming.

So for you hot air guys out there should i stick with these injectors or get some new ones?

First...You didn't know what you bought :eek:

Injectors should be replaced if they are orginals..
Add in a hotwire kit for the fuel pump, Cold Air Kit.
You can't run a scanmaster (if I remember right) without upgrading the ECM to a 86/87. I would do that before ordering a chip, but to late you did already.
Once the car is running good and has a good tune, Alky would be your next best mod.

9 psi is about right a hot air car stock.

Preluder- I have a hot air which is easily into the twelves and can help. My car operates the same as an 86/87 but I do not have an intercooler but I did add Alky. I would define what you are looking for in the car before you open your wallet. Hot air cars are more expensive to modify because alot of parts have to be custom made and you have to convert the electrics to the 87/87 setup. Read my signature and post in the Hot Air forum. Brad

Brad, you seem like a man i need to talk to. I have a million questions and was wonering if you had IM or windows live id. This would be and easier way for me to ask questions and explain my set-up. I have windows live messenger? It is Preluder77@hotmail.com if so this would be great and I would really appreciate it.