New member need help.....

You got almost 1400 posts and need help? Man, I'd think you have a PhD in this stuff by now! :D Just kidding, no flames.

Jazmin, please don't just go out and have your engine rebuilt without knowing something about it first. Unused parts are usually returnable unless they are custom-made/special order. So hold tight for right now.

The first thing anyone is going to need to know is what has been done to your car (equipment installed particularly) other than what you have already mentioned. Also, what kind of maintenance does it see, fuel used, etc. A good platform of information is the best start to fixing problems. Do whatever it takes to gather this info and post everything you can think of. Then you can get some help. Like TurboV6 said on the other thread, 116,000 miles doesn't necessarily indicate a bad engine. Looking forward to your post.....

Originally posted by John Larkin
You got almost 1400 posts and need help? Man, I'd think you have a PhD in this stuff by now! :D Just kidding, no flames.

LOL! I know alittle here and there, but i'm still learning :D

OK..I DONT KNOW MUCH, BUT HERE GOES! THE ENGINE I BELIEVE IS ALL STOCK.. THE ONLY ADDITIONS THAT I KNOW OF ON THE CAR IS A TOMCO MAF, SOME KIND OF ALCOHOL INJECTION KIT THAT IS NOT HOOKED UP, VOLT BOOSTER, FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE, FUEL PUMP AND WIRING UPGRADE, AND SOME KIND OF THROTTLE RESPONSE THING. SORRY! AS FOR THE MAINTENANCE, I THINK I HAVE KEPT IT UP WELL WHILE I HAVE HAD IT. IT SEEMS THE OWNER PREVIOUSLY JUST BANGED IT AROUND..THE BODY IS IN TERRIBLE SHAPE. ALSO, THERE IS A LOUD KNOCKING NOISE WHENEVER I BRAKE WHILE TURNING..LIKE SOMETHING IS SLIPPING OUT OF PLACE? SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT MY BEARINGS ARE BAD IN THE FRONT? ALSO, THERE IS NO FRONT SWAY BAR RIGHT NOW.. AND WHEN I BRAKE HARD, MY CAR PULLS TO THE RIGHT? I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON WITH THAT THING. WHATEVER PIPE IS LOCATED RIGHT UNDER THE PASSENGER SEAT IS CRACKED AND AT TIMES STARTS TO SMOKE..IT COMES OUT FROM BEHIND THE FRONT PASSENGER WHEEL WHEN IDLING. WHITE SMOKE..ALSO, THERE IS A LOUD RATTLE FROM THE SAME AREA WHEN IDLING THAT SHAKES MY PASSENGER SEAT? THERE IS A DEFINITE RADIATOR LEAK AND OIL LEAK..FROM WHERE, I DONT KNOW. AND ONE LAST THING, WHEN TAKING OFF REGULARLY FROM A STOP, IT SEEMS THE CAR REALLY LAGS UNTIL IT KICKS INTO 2ND THEN IT PULLS REALLY HARD.. IS THAT NORMAL? I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS THE INFO YOU WANTED.. BUT THATS PRETTY MUCH WHAT I KNOW! ANYTHING ELSE I CAN ANSWER FOR YOU JUST LET ME KNOW! THANKS.

THERE IS A LOUD KNOCKING NOISE WHENEVER I BRAKE WHILE TURNING..LIKE SOMETHING IS SLIPPING OUT OF PLACE? SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT MY BEARINGS ARE BAD IN THE FRONT? ALSO, THERE IS NO FRONT SWAY BAR RIGHT NOW.. AND WHEN I BRAKE HARD, MY CAR PULLS TO THE RIGHT

Sounds like a good diagnosis to me for now....

WHATEVER PIPE IS LOCATED RIGHT UNDER THE PASSENGER SEAT IS CRACKED AND AT TIMES STARTS TO SMOKE..IT COMES OUT FROM BEHIND THE FRONT PASSENGER WHEEL WHEN IDLING.

If it's just a pipe, then it sounds like you need a new test pipe. If it has shields on it and is sorta oval shaped, that is the catalytic converter, which ALSO needs to be replaced with a new test pipe. Also sounds like you need a new catalytic converter hanger which holds the exhaust steady and mounts to the transmission mount (it's an inexpensive piece). This is probably causing the rattle you hear too.

THERE IS A DEFINITE RADIATOR LEAK AND OIL LEAK..FROM WHERE, I DONT KNOW.

Oil leak is normal as long as it isn't large; radiator leak isn't normal. You need to have a radiator pressure test done and get that fixed.

WHEN TAKING OFF REGULARLY FROM A STOP, IT SEEMS THE CAR REALLY LAGS UNTIL IT KICKS INTO 2ND THEN IT PULLS REALLY HARD..

There are several things this could be but I'd place 10:1 odds that you have an upgraded turbo but not an upgraded higher stall converter to match it. Typical non-enthusiast mistake by the previous owner. There are stock turbos for sale on this board constantly for sale for a very reasonable price and in good shape ($250 and under). I suggest you get one and install it. That's a broad assumption and I might not be right; you need someone with turbo knowledge to try and identify it before proceeding with the purchase. Also try to see what computer chip the car has in it currently.

Also, it is recommended that your fuel system is up to snuff. Be sure and have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You also need a boost gauge. Do two things: Make sure you can see your fuel pressure gauge while driving, even if you temporarily tape it to the windshield, and see that as boost increases, fuel pressure increases 1 lb of fuel pressure for each one psi of boost. That's it for now. Keep us posted and good luck. Read www.gnttype.org throughly.

Oh, I failed to mention that it doesn't sound like you need to rebuild your engine. And don't go into boost above 14psi for now. You need to build a solid platform before proceeding in my opinion.

thanks so much for all the info.. i have another gn owner coming over tomorrow to check out the car for me thanks to the other post that i have going on for the hawaii region..anyhow, the only thing that i am stuck on for now is trying to figure out the radiator leak, and why the car lags in first gear? i am almost 100% sure that it is the stock turbo.. i dont know anything about a chip though.. guess i will figure that out tomorrow...and along with you, it seems that everyone is against a rebuild at this point so i guess i will just hold off unless (knock on wood) the beast breaks on me anytime soon!