New NHRA license rules and physical 2016

murphster

Just a heads up for people....

I had missed this but after looking to renew my license and looking at the forms for this year I saw that they have changed the physical requirements for an NHRA ET Competition License. So starting this year, for the 7.50-9.99 ET license that we need to run faster than 10.0 or >135mph at an NHRA track, no physical is needed. And no physical is needed for renewal.

So if your car is legal, you can download the forms and go right to the track to make license passes. Makes things a lot easier. And the NHRA membership is rolled into the license fees now, so you don't have to do them separately.

Nice. Be sure to check with the track manager before showing up to make license passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey just wondering, what the criteria for getting one of these license and how does one go about it. Thanks Gene.

Hey just wondering, what the criteria for getting one of these license and how does one go about it. Thanks Gene.

Car/chassis need to be certified
Need all required safety equipment
Most likely will want all the serial numbers and expiration dates of trans shields, belts, damper, flexplate and all other required equipment and will require tech sheet sign-off
Depending on the track, they may require you to show up on certain days and may not even be able to complete this in one day
They will ask for a few half track passes, then a few progressively faster passes, and last 2 passes must be 9.99 or 135+ to meet the license criteria(total of 6 passes)
2 NHRA license drivers to whiteness and sign off on your license.
Track manager sign-off.
Money

Paperwork can be downloaded from the NHRA website.

Turbobit, thanks for taking the time to put that together, all i really need now is a 9 second fully built race car to take the test.(haha)

Turbobit, thanks for taking the time to put that together, all i really need now is a 9 second fully built race car to take the test.(haha)
I've got one. But unfortunately I'll never be able to legally drive it. Because it will be a cold day in hell before I go through that fiasco for a license.

Sometimes the enjoyment is only worth the time and effort your willing to put into it. I'm married and have 3 kids, work in the aerospace industry and still managed to find time to do it and was able to complete it in one day. It's all about being strategic on the day you go up and working with the track manager ahead of time to coordinate the expectations. Things tend to work easier when you are prepared and willing to work with people. In the end its all about being safe and nothing more frustrating to the track and other racers is to see an unlicensed driver going fast without proper certification. Time to pay your dues, man up and get that license and be ligit.
AG.

Sometimes the enjoyment is only worth the time and effort your willing to put into it. I'm married and have 3 kids, work in the aerospace industry and still managed to find time to do it and was able to complete it in one day. It's all about being strategic on the day you go up and working with the track manager ahead of time to coordinate the expectations. Things tend to work easier when you are prepared and willing to work with people. In the end its all about being safe and nothing more frustrating to the track and other racers is to see an unlicensed driver going fast without proper certification. Time to pay your dues, man up and get that license and be ligit.
AG.
I've never made a 9 second pass. A friend of ours always seems happy to do it for me. Most people who know me, know I'm not competitive enough to care to do it myself. I'm more about my personal connection to my Buick which I'm able to experience more intimately during my long hours of driving long distances on the street. And based on my one only trans-brake launch, I don't think I will ever try again. In 12 years my car has been to a track 4 times to race. Total number of light passes combined by me and Brian may be under 10 in all 12 years!

Also, I Just wasn't built for drag racing. This, combined with the fact that I'm a little further from the track than you, and that I have to 'man-up' to more important things every single minute of the day. This makes it 1000'th on my list of important things to do. Right behind getting cosmetic surgical enhancements to my feet.

But I'm glad you guys do it. :)

I've never made a 9 second pass. A friend of ours always seems happy to do it for me. Most people who know me, know I'm not competitive enough to care to do it myself. I'm more about my personal connection to my Buick which I'm able to experience more intimately during my long hours of driving long distances on the street. And based on my one only trans-brake launch, I don't think I will ever try again. In 12 years my car has been to a track 4 times to race. Total number of light passes combined by me and Brian may be under 10 in all 12 years!

Also, I Just wasn't built for drag racing. This, combined with the fact that I'm a little further from the track than you, and that I have to 'man-up' to more important things every single minute of the day. This makes it 1000'th on my list of important things to do. Right behind getting cosmetic surgical enhancements to my feet.

But I'm glad you guys do it. :)
So, you think your the only one with more important things to do ?? Had time and money to build the car didn't you ? I have more fun building and driving my car too but still need to have some curtesy to other racers in the other lane next to me.....

I've got one. But unfortunately I'll never be able to legally drive it. Because it will be a cold day in hell before I go through that fiasco for a license.

To me statements like this are insulting and spits in the face of the rulebook and to those who choose to make the effort to comply. If you have no intentions of getting your license then stay off the track.
AG.

have some curtesy to other racers in the other lane next to me.....
Um, I thought my comments in my last post made it abundantly clear that I have no intentions on ever driving my car into the 9's.
If you have no intentions of getting your license then stay off the track.
o_OAgain, I'm afraid you somehow may have missed what I wrote. So, I'll try this again. When my car is put on a track, there is someone else driving it.
Or maybe you didn't miss it. And instead you felt it necessary to translate my comments as my intentions to do something reckless and dangerous to others. I don't think anyone else read it that way. And funny, for a second I thought I was saying the same thing as you. Race by the rules if you Race. But I don't race.

Are we arguing again?:confused: For what?

Um, I thought my comments in my last post made it abundantly clear that I have no intentions on ever driving my car into the 9's.

o_OAgain, I'm afraid you somehow may have missed what I wrote. So, I'll try this again. When my car is put on a track, there is someone else driving it.
Or maybe you didn't miss it. And instead you felt it necessary to translate my comments as my intentions to do something reckless and dangerous to others. I don't think anyone else read it that way. And funny, for a second I thought I was saying the same thing as you. Race by the rules if you Race. But I don't race.

You came into a safety forum and boasted how you have no intentions of following the rules. Once again you added no technical value or guidance to a post.
AG.

If you have no input toward safety why would you post in a tech thread in safety forum?

You came into a safety forum and boasted how you have no intentions of following the rules. Once again you added no technical value or guidance to a post.
AG.
What I did was write a post in response to the complexity of acquiring an NHRA license. My reaction to this was meant in jest and friendly to the poster I responded to. I don't attempt to add some gift of knowledge to all every time I write a post. Sometimes it's just about engaging in conversation. I thought this forum was about bonding with other Buick folk as much as it was about tech talk.

Get off my back. Enough is enough already. Just stop.