You can type here any text you want

New Owner-HELP- Car runs like a*s - Take a look at my numbers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotaguy

New TTA owner here (again). My car runs very, very rough at idle and only boosts about 9psi. I finally bought a scanmaster and hooked it up today. See my numbers below. I'd like to get your thoughts.

Yes, as I write this I am looking up how to adjust the TPS and IAC and will do that tonight.

Warm, at Idle in Park:
AF 06
L8 34
bAt 13.4
Int 149
bL 150
MPH 0
CLt 181
AtS 82
r 750
tPS 0.38
IAC 70
cc 144 (this number keeps moving)
MAL 00

What do you guys see? I'd appreciate any an all input as I am new to this beast and learning fast (I got a scan tool didn't I!)

Ok - having no luck adjusting the IAC. When I have the screw almost completeley out, I get IAC's of 70ish, I adjust it the other way and I get IAC's in the 80's. I can't adjust it to be down around 25. Also, the idle goes up way high during the adjustment. What the hell?

Also, during my adjustment run, I got two error codes, 34 & 44.

I'm going to try and move this thread to the general area so more folks can take a look.

HELP!

Some of the #'s look good:
AF should be between 4 and 8
L8 seems good(or at least close to mine)

Some don't:
bl should be 128...usually means u have some vacuum leaks check all the vacuum lines as they wear with age and make sure you get the correct orifice size
tps...adjust to .42 or .44
IAC seems real high to me also(sure others will give more feedback)
cc always jumps around..if it doesn't then you have a problem(02sensor?)

If the search function works on this board you will get all kinds of results for scanmaster numbers. Also try 89tta.com and turbobuicks.com for more info. Have had mine for a year now and I'm still working on this thing...they are fun but they seem to be brittle(break easy) but they are 17 yrs old now! PS If you go to 89tta.com check on cleaning the intercooler and if you do clean it let us know what effect it has.

Your car is lean. hence the BLM's of 150. You need them down to 128ish. Check for vacuum leaks. The IAC is also high. There are TONS of how to set the IAC.

Jason

A vacuum leak will make your car run rough all by itself.

As you know, your IAC and TPS are off. Look at (become very familiar with) Steve Woods site and GNTTYPE.org for detailed unstructions on adjusting the IAC and TPS (adjust one, and it changes the other).

Also, you can look up Malfunction codes here at GNTTYPE.org

Bookmark these links, you'll need them again and again. You're going to have to study and study to make yourself smart on these issues.

I posted my update in the general section, but thought I'd post it here too:

Ok guys, update - I replaced my MAF sensor, my o2 sensor, a vac line that looked to be cracked, and the entire "y" vac line assy with correct orifice (the orifice that was in there was gi-normous). Reset the ECU, adjusted the IAC and the car idles a TON better.

Here are my new Scanmaster numbers:

AF 05
L8 43
Bat 13.5
int 130
bl 124
clt 195
atS 88
r 750
tps 0.52
IAC 24
cc 252 then back to zero and counting again
MAL 00

Looks like all I have to do in the morning is adjust my TPS a bit and I'm just about there. The car still idles just a little bit rough, but a ton better than before. It's not dying and stumbling like it was. I will put the new Turbotweak chip in tomorrow too and that should help smooth the idle as well.

Thanks for the input and links. This forum is very helpful for a TR/TTA newbie like myself. I can now see why a scan tool is a must for tuning these puppies.

Those numbers look great except the TPS is a little high. Try and get it down to about .44-.46. Also do you have a 160* thermostat? If not you might want to get one. Erics chip lets the car run real cool if you have the 160.

Jason

Yeah, it doesn't look like my car has a 160deg stat. This car is painfully stock with mostly original part. I'll try to pick up a 160 stat tomorrow if they are easy to get at my local parts store.

Can't wait to put the new chip in and try it out!

Yeah Erics chip will really smooth it out. Get a 160* stat and let us know how it runs.

Ok - put the new Turbotweak chip in and took it out for a ride. Idles great, very smooth, runs great.

Now, the only problem I have is that it only boosts about 8-9psi. I replaced the "y" vac line assy with one from Johns Performance, and even bought the correct sized orifice so that can't be the problem.

I'm going to tap into a vac line with a stand alone boost gauge taped to the windshield to see if my stock gauge is accurate.

Any other places I should be looking for low boost?

:eek: Really? The car is quiet as can be. I guess I just assumed that I would actually hear an exhaust leak.

Are exhaust leaks common on the tta?

What are my options? Are there aftermarket headers and crossover pipes available?

I ran the car with a known good boost gauge taped to the windshield and the car boosts about 12.5psi. I found the problem with the stock gauge too, there was a kinked vac hose.

So, the car is running great now, but only boosting 12.5psi. What should I be looking for? Still an exhaust leak?

Am I far enough along where I can put in an adjustable wga and adjust a few more psi?

Again, I appreciate the comments.

Do you get any knock at 12.5? If not add boost. No there are no aftermarket headers for these cars. Well I take that back, ATR made one set. :D Also I would strongly consider upgrading the fuel pump to a walbro 340 from Racetronix. What are your 02's at WOT?

Jason

Quiky One said:
Do you get any knock at 12.5? If not add boost. No there are no aftermarket headers for these cars. Well I take that back, ATR made one set. :D Also I would strongly consider upgrading the fuel pump to a walbro 340 from Racetronix. What are your 02's at WOT?

Jason

No knock at 12.5psi. I'm thinking about the fuel pump, I'll probably have that be a winter project.

Still don't know why only 12.5psi. The WGA looks to be original. Can it be that the spring is weak?

Don't know 02's at WOT. I'll make a pass tonight and repost.

I'm not sure. Has the stock wastegate been made adjustable by the previous owner and he just set it low? Sounds like a good running car.

Jason

No, it's pretty evident that the previous owner didn't adjust a damn thing. I'm glad he at least changed the oil.

It is a great running car now - I would not have made that statement 2 days ago.

One last question - When I let off from WOT, I hear the turbo flutter. Sounds like its boost back pressure. Doesn't our car have a relief valve or BOV? I'm hoping its normal for our car to do this, or my relief valve is messed up.

Back