You can type here any text you want

New Owner-HELP- Car runs like a*s - Take a look at my numbers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
turbotaguy said:
No, it's pretty evident that the previous owner didn't adjust a damn thing. I'm glad he at least changed the oil.

It is a great running car now - I would not have made that statement 2 days ago.

One last question - When I let off from WOT, I hear the turbo flutter. Sounds like its boost back pressure. Doesn't our car have a relief valve or BOV? I'm hoping its normal for our car to do this, or my relief valve is messed up.

My car makes the same noise as does a friend who has a T-Type.

turbotaguy said:
No, it's pretty evident that the previous owner didn't adjust a damn thing. I'm glad he at least changed the oil.

It is a great running car now - I would not have made that statement 2 days ago.

One last question - When I let off from WOT, I hear the turbo flutter. Sounds like its boost back pressure. Doesn't our car have a relief valve or BOV? I'm hoping its normal for our car to do this, or my relief valve is messed up.

yup that's compressor surge and is normal because as you said there is no BOV or pressure relief valve. Technically it's bad on the turbo but with an automatic you don't run into it as much as you do with a manual so it's not necessary to have one. If you're worried about it just try to ease out of the throttle but it's not really doing hardly any damage to the turbo, it'll just wear it out over time.

72firebird said:
yup that's compressor surge and is normal because as you said there is no BOV or pressure relief valve. Technically it's bad on the turbo but with an automatic you don't run into it as much as you do with a manual so it's not necessary to have one. If you're worried about it just try to ease out of the throttle but it's not really doing hardly any damage to the turbo, it'll just wear it out over time.
It might be hard on the turbo, but there have been thousands of turbos go over 100k miles without a BOV. I wouldnt worry about it.

My $0.02 Jason

Thanks for all the replies and help guys. My car is running great now. Just need to figure out why I'm only boosting 12.5 psi. I ordered an adjustable wga from Johnsperformance so I should be able to get it boosting correctly soon.

Ok, installed the adjustable WGA and adjustable FPR and I've set it to 16.5psi.

I made a few WOT runs through 1st and 2nd gear. It runs freakin great.

My AF at idle is 05 or so, at WOT it is 255. Is that good or bad? Is there a "conversion" chart to convert this number to an a/f ratio?

Also, my knock retard was 0. I'm thinking that's a good thing. I'm also thinking I might be able to squeak out another psi of boost.

What do you guys think?

Where did you pick up the maf sensor?? I am thinking about replacing mine and I saw Johns has them, but its Cardone and Autozone sells those. PS I got a maf from OReillys and it caused 95% of my detonation(put stock on and detonation went away) it was a borg warner which I thought was a good brand but anytime I would give it more than 1/2 throttle the Scanm. would show detonation.

Wait a minute, I think I'm confused. Is the AF setting on scanmaster air/fuel? Or airflow.

How do I check my air fuel ratio at wot? And what does it convert to in terms of a/f ratio (i.e. 14.7)

I got the MAF sensor at Murrays. Its a Cardone also, it is an AC core.

AF stands for mass airflow..It should read 255 at WOT or the MAF is bad. Sounds like your car is right on. Enjoy it but dont get to greedy with the tune. If it was my car and on pump gas, I would leave it a pound or two away from knock. No reason to be on the verge unless you are wanting another .1.

Jason

i see that you've solved the low boost problem, however i did notice that checking your Catalytic Convertor went unmentioned, if its clogged,dirty,etc... you will have low boost. Happened to me a few years back, car ran fine but wouldn't boost very high, i couldnt figure it out....finally a local Turbo buick guy looked at it and told me that was the problem.

HTH
-Joe

turbota633 said:
i see that you've solved the low boost problem, however i did notice that checking your Catalytic Convertor went unmentioned, if its clogged,dirty,etc... you will have low boost. Happened to me a few years back, car ran fine but wouldn't boost very high, i couldnt figure it out....finally a local Turbo buick guy looked at it and told me that was the problem.

HTH
-Joe

I have a race pipe to replace the cat, just haven't installed it yet. I'll make sure to be careful when I do in case the boost jumps up a psi or 2.

Back