You can type here any text you want

New rear end

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackBandit

God loves Buicks!
So I'm sitting here, at work, bored out of my mind, thinking about the car and I had an idea. Why can't I just get a 8.8" rear end out of an explorer or something and put it in my GN? I mean, I'm sure the housing would have to be narrowed, brackets added, and new axles and a drivshaft bought, but it still seems like it would end up costing less than upgrading the 8.5" and it should be stronger as I believe the Explorers came with 31 spline axles. Not to mention disc brakes and no 'c' clips. Am I way off? I've searched around the site but haven't come up with anything.

Also, does anyone know what the width of the gn rear is from the outside of the axle flange to axle flange, from tube end to tube end, and what the od of the axle tubes are? I can't exactly go measure mine right now. :biggrin: TIA. james

Edit: It looks like the closest gear to a 3.43 I can find for the 8.8 is a 3.55. That's not so bad though.

For a simple man you sure are complicated. :D

Put the money in the 8.5 and run low 10's and better all day long. ;)

Back