You can type here any text you want

New Type of eBay fraud?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hey guys,

I am considering becoming an e-bay seller. How the hell does someone's e-bay account get "hijacked"??

thanks alot,

Ravi

Easy, I get fake emails all the time that appear to be from ebay, but when you click the links in the email..it takes you to a sign on screen that looks very much like the ebay sign on screen, but if you look at the address bar it is not ebay.com So unsuspecting people enter their ebay id and pw and the crooks then have it to use. ....Usually the emails say something like "Log in now to keep your ebay userid from being turned off due to accounting problems"..or something like that. You don't have to click the links to know, just set your cursor over them and see what address displays at the bottom of your browser. Same with bank account emails too...

Hey guys,

I am considering becoming an e-bay seller. How the hell does someone's e-bay account get "hijacked"??

thanks alot,

Ravi

Idiots spoof eBay and PayPal email accounts by sending you official looking emails stating your account is suspended or your account needs to be updated. Then they want you to click on the hyperlink to update your information which goes to another site, but the hyperlink text is written so it looks like it is going to ebay. Once you click on the link, it takes you to a page that looks like an official ebay page. Once you update your username, password, billing information with credit card number and submit it, they own you. I get these phish emails a few times a week on my ebay accounts.

Idiots spoof eBay and PayPal email accounts by sending you official looking emails stating your account is suspended or your account needs to be updated. Then they want you to click on the hyperlink to update your information which goes to another site, but the hyperlink text is written so it looks like it is going to ebay. Once you click on the link, it takes you to a page that looks like an official ebay page. Once you update your username, password, billing information with credit card number and submit it, they own you. I get these phish emails a few times a week on my ebay accounts.

I always enter the following into those websites:

Username: f$*! you
Password: phishingscum

Makes me feel better.

Jim

Back