New Valve springs ???

Danster

I would like to replace the valve springs with the stronger ones since my car has 98K miles. I assume this can be done without removing the heads, correct? I have never changed out springs before, how much of PITA is it to do it by yourself?

Thanks in advance,

Dannyo

What exactly do you mean by stronger? NOT a significantly higher seat pressure I hope!!!

A 98k cam is not going to like much above the stock spring's seat pressures, some like the 100lb LT-1 springs (be careful there are 2 LT-1 springs, one is much higher & will wipe the cam!). Comp Cams CC980's work very well & will help the car pull strong through the entire RPM range and WON'T wipe the cam from too much pressure!

There is a how to for this on www.gnttype.org (if I remember correctly) should take a novice wrencher about a day to do.

Doug C.

So you suggest to change the cam and springs at the same time? Reason I'm asking, I'm always reading people on this board changing their springs as also suggested by Kirbans Performance for Heavy-Duty valve springs for any car over 65K. The spings are rated at 100 lb test since the stockers were rated at 80 lbs.

I might just wait for more $$ and purchase the cam and change out both items at the same time.

Dannyo

Unless your cam is going flat there is no need to change both!!! The springs from Kirban's have worked well in a lot of cars & 100 lbs of seat pressure should work just fine but I wouldn't suggest going any higher than that. The cc980's are a good match for a stock car since their seat pressure is right around 85 lbs.

Doug C.

Kirbans valve spring tool is great but I wouldn't use his springs as I have never seen published or tested force results on them.

CC980's test right at the top of the spec. and are very consistent spring to spring.

Just my .02 and by all means get the Kirban tool worked excellent on my 2 cars.

Someday someone will test his springs. :)

Do a search most likely tons of info. on how to do it.

Definately get the Kirban tool. You can sell it later here or Ebay for what you paid for it. Get the Comp Cams 980's... they seem to be the most popular upgrade.

I did mine in my garage with the "old rope trick" took some time and I replaced the valve stem seals at the same time.

You can do it.

Good luck

Joel