You can type here any text you want

new wheel back space question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qtr mlr

hey guys, ready to order new wheels, gonna be a 15x8 with a 255/60/mt drag radial. some people run the 3 1/2 inch back space and some run the 4 1/2 back space which is what i'm leaning towards. how much room will i have on the inside ? for the guys who do run the 4 1/2 back space, do you usually need a spacer? and also on a 15x 6 front a 3 1/2 is the norm with stock brakes...correct? thanks in advance guys.:)

4.5" backspacing will fit fine, but on an 8" wheel, that is going to look very "tucked in" with a narrow stance. It's up to your personal preference but I think the wider stance looks better. 3.5" would look better.

but will i run into a problem with the outer wheel lip? through the suspension travel? if it will clear the outer lip...i'd rather have that...but i dont want it to rub

black metal...i agree about the look, but just dont want a clearence issuie on the out side. dont wanna have to roll the lips either

i run 15x8 3.5 bs and 275 60 15 inch and have no problem i do run rear airbags which helps body roll. the look is wayyyy better than 4.5 bs
0410090038-1.jpg

0410090038a.jpg

0410090039.jpg

0410090039a.jpg

quip '6' great pics...great pics. love the look, but without air bags am i gonna get into the wheel lip? over bumps ? and over bumps while cornering

4.5 and use a 1/4 spacer to kick it out a little.. 3.5s ARE goin to rub UNLESS ya want the 'bronco billy" look with the car sitting 3 inches in the air with air bags :rolleyes:

My opinion is 4" BS is ideal on a unmodified car, but I don't know what wheels you are looking at...Some do not offer a 4" BS.

My opinion is 4" BS is ideal on a unmodified car, but I don't know what wheels you are looking at...Some do not offer a 4" BS.

I don't know of any either .. 3.5 or 4.5 is it .. well unless you do a frame notch :eek: then its 5.5"

I would do the 4.5 bs and get a bigger tire, like a 275/50 to fill in the wheel well.

the wheel is a centerline split spoke. available in 3 1/2, 4, and 4 1/2 in of backspace. i want the tire to fill up the wheel well without getting into the lip. maybe the 4in bs is the best compromise. gonna be putting on the mt 255/60 dr. the car has stock suspension and i dont want to use airbags

i havent got hardly air in my airbags. dont know where the term bronco billy comes in i have no wheel lip problems without em. i run airbags for the track. each car is setup different even from the factory. so its trial and error. MY CAR SITS VERY LEVEL AND I HAVE 10 PSI IN DRIVERSIDE AIRBAG AND 25 PSI IN PASSENGERSIDE. THE CAR RAISES 3/4 IN THATS IT

the wheel is a centerline split spoke. available in 3 1/2, 4, and 4 1/2 in of backspace. i want the tire to fill up the wheel well without getting into the lip. maybe the 4in bs is the best compromise. gonna be putting on the mt 255/60 dr. the car has stock suspension and i dont want to use airbags

255s are no problem ..

Attachments

• 05 May WE4 Launch.JPG
    05 May WE4 Launch.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 291
My tires don't rub...about 1/4" -3/8" clearance on inside...sizes in sig. I've had 4 men in the car with no problems, don't rub outside either.

Go with the 4" BS then if you're that concerned about rubbing. At stock ride height, 3.5"BS is still not gunna rub, look at how much room there is between tire and fender, the suspension isn't gunna travel that much over an average bump in the road.

There's nothing "bronco billy" :rolleyes: about it, better than looking like the car is on stilts with an 8" wheel tucked way into the wheel well.

275 60 15 on an 8inch rim
4.5 in backspace but rubbed frame
add aluminum drums to push wheel back out a lil more
now no frame rubbing and still tucks under sheet metal:cool:
-dan

Attachments

• STANCE2.jpg
    STANCE2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 285
3.5' backspace people.. Put 2 people in the back seat and tell me the tires don't hit the lip !!! come on.. Ok I am done .. this has been beat to death a 1000 times before .. NO Bronco Billy look on my cars :p

Back