You can type here any text you want

NEWBIE! 1st start and run 7 years - 20lbs too much boost??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
...Fuel Injectors = 60lbs Injectors from Turbo Tweak with Standard 5.7 chip (Best bang for your buck).
If running Alky this is the time to let him know. If you select a 93 octane chip another chip would be needed for Alky.
http://www.turbotweakstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1015

Great stuff but you don't need a different chip with alky. The timing curves are slightly different but a 15-17psi street tune will have the same fueling as a 25psi alky chip.

And def go 80's on injectors in case E85 comes into play down the road. Same reason to buy 60's over the past how many years is the same reason to just step up and get 80's now.

Great stuff but you don't need a different chip with alky. The timing curves are slightly different but a 15-17psi street tune will have the same fueling as a 25psi alky chip.

And def go 80's on injectors in case E85 comes into play down the road. Same reason to buy 60's over the past how many years is the same reason to just step up and get 80's now.

Very valid point. 80s are beginning to become the new 60s.

Very valid point. 80s are beginning to become the new 60s.
Especially since the 80's and 60's cost the same from TT last I looked. The only other thing I see is an audible knock gauge because kr can come on fast and you might not be looking at the scanmaster at that time. If it screams, you lift, and your engine stays alive to fight another day. Best of luck and in case you haven't found out, these cars can be an expensive disease!:cool:

Especially since the 80's and 60's cost the same from TT last I looked. The only other thing I see is an audible knock gauge because kr can come on fast and you might not be looking at the scanmaster at that time. If it screams, you lift, and your engine stays alive to fight another day. Best of luck and in case you haven't found out, these cars can be an expensive disease!:cool:

Yes the 80s are so hot right now looks like they are out of stock.

The Racetronix 340LPH looks like another good choice over the 255LPH if you want room for bigger improvement or decide to run E85. I know some were having to modify the return lines. I helped a local owner install a Racetronix 340lph with sender on his stock set up with 60lbs injectors and all is running good.

The 255lph + Alky will be more than enough to get the OP's goal of 11s.

Maybe I missed it but how many miles are on the car? Does it have the original MAF and powermaster brakes? If so you might want to think about changing them now as opposed to later (when you have to).

Sorry guys I had trouble logging in last night, so I'm playing catch up today!

antbankstwo3
- welcome - this is killer stuff huh??

we4Mateo, DavidM, turbotroy thank you all so much! I just can't thank you enough! Oddly I had told my wife that the Turbo Buick would be a whole lot cheaper endeavor than my Jeep addiction was (or is I should say). And in case you all have never heard the true definition of JEEP, then here it is:

JEEP -
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

And I thought that my JEEP Habit was better than my BOAT Habit. And in case you all have yet to hear the true definition of BOAT, then here it is:

BOAT
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

So may be someone can tell me what the true definition of BUICK is then?

GNRick, the car has 91,000 miles on it, it also has the LT1 MAF upgrade (I believe) and yes it does still have the power master (which is yet another issue noted in another thread as well)!

DavidM I got it, Racetronix 340LPH and I am starting my research on all of that tonight! (Not that I doubt anything anyone is saying - just that I have to figure the what and the why behind everything as I assimilate information better that way)! And I want to have this stuff down cold so that I can have the car sorted right the first time. However, I will more than likely document all of the upgrades somewhere on here. And I plan on doing some before and after ET's (once I get the car safe to drive and all). By that I mean brake wise and in a manner that I'm not running 20psi of boost as well (with a junk pump, stock injectors and who knows what tune)! So again thanks so much guys for the help! I can't wait to share the results!!

OK,
I've found the original chip (and it is back in the car now)! So it's back to stock boost (thank The Lord)! And although I'm still upgrading the injectors, pump, etc., however I don't have to worry about too much boost now!

Anyways can anyone tell me what this relic is.

image.jpg image.jpg

When you say back to stock boost, do you mean you adjusted boost down by lengthening the wastegate rod. Just to make sure, boost is not increased or decreased via the chip.

Thanks for the response DavidM and all I can say is that you have to remember this is an old chip. In that, oddly enough that was precisely the case with this chip.

You see, someone mentioned that the chip could control the boost (if it the vacuum line coming off the turbo went into a solenoid). So I traced it down and sure enough it did just that. Therefore I swapped the chip (putting the old stock chip back in it). And low and behold it went from 20psi down to approximately 12psi now.

Unfortunately the car is slow as I don't know what now! Although that's ok in that at least I don't have to worry about blowing it up for the time being! So now I can focus on the brakes, tires and getting all of the stuff ordered for the plan.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response DavidM and all I can say is that you have to remember this is an old chip. In that, oddly enough that was precisely the case with this chip.

You see, someone mentioned that the chip could control the boost (if it the vacuum line coming off the turbo went into a solenoid). So I traced it down and sure enough it did just that. Therefore I swapped the chip (putting the old stock chip back in it). And low and behold it went from 20psi down to approximately 12psi now.

Unfortunately the car is slow as I don't know what now! Although that's ok in that at least I don't have to worry about blowing it up for the time being! So now I can focus on the brakes, tires and getting all of the stuff ordered for the plan.

Thanks!

The stock chip has too much timing, so even at 12psi, you can still blow it up. Don't kid yourself that low boost is necessarily safe with these cars.

Thanks we4Mateo, I think?? LOL, I'm just kidding! Thanks for letting me know!! Wow, temper-mental little rascal isn't it!

Although I have to tell that there isn't much fun in this chip to begin with! As it has slowed the car down tremendously anyways. So it is not like I want to go out and race it like this either. In that, it is dog slow now for sure. However, I do think that I will see if I can send these chips in and have them burned into something more useful later on anyways. As I don't ever want to have them laying around as the only other alternative to the new stuff that I get.

So I'm right back to no WOT (only at a good second and half slower than it was before). Lovely, just when I think I'm getting somewhere too!

I guess none of that matters anyways though because the power master is now in total (no pedal pressure) failure with the brake light on all the time now no matter what. So either way, it looks like it's updated brake system and tires first. Then maybe next week or so I can turn my full attention to getting the injector / chip package together and upgrading the fuel system as a whole.

Which by the way, has anybody else noticed how incredibly limited the available tire choices are for this car??? It blows me away how limited they have become!!

Thanks again!!!

Straighten out your issues then put the chip back in.

Pronto, yes sir, I'm working on getting it straight as we speak. However, I'm a little freaked out about the aftermarket chip at this point though! Because I have no idea what it is designed for (only thing I do know about it, is that makes way too much boost for what I have right now). I know one thing is for sure that little chip made an unreal difference in this car that's for sure! So I can't wait to get it all right and see what it will do!

Back