You can type here any text you want

Newbie question regarding Turbo Regal reliabilty

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

Are there certain things one should be concerned with when buying a higher mileage all original Turbo Regal. I am talking above 75K. Will the car have the same pep, torque reliability? Are there any known engine, tranny or other issues to look out for. I ask because I have seen some really nice unmolested or upgraded vehicles but many have had higher mileage.

Thanks

Like any car, you're always taking a chance. And a 24 year old car that's subject to abuse, it is what it is.
Also, there are many reliable TR's on the road today.
You just can't be afraid to buy one. Just be smart.

Good luck.
D

A few years ago I purchased a 1987 GN with 150K miles that was original and had regular service all its life.

It drove and rode like a 50K mile car, and with our usual mods and the original engine, it became a 10 sec. track car, and it was still a reliable street car! :)

A friend had a GN with over 200K miles, and after lots of pounding at the track, the engine gave up but was not destroyed and was able to be rebuilt.

I worked on a few 100k+ GN's that had lots of track time in the 12's, and were very reliable.

The main concern at this age and mileage is the original plastic timing gear which now really should be considered a maintance item.

.......And a 24 year old car that's subject to abuse, .........
Good luck....................D

I really like your math, I just wish I could lose 5 years as quick you made our GN's younger - 1987 + 29 = 2016! :)

I have near 200k miles and have replaced all of the sensors at least once. If you buy a car with >100,000 miles I would replace the normal things like hoses, vacuum lines, and sensors...in addition to what Nick said.

I don't know about reliable but I drive mine to work just about everyday there isn't ice on the ground. I've replaced a lot of things including everything mentioned above. Though it has one original head gasket and the bottom end has only had the rear main off to replace the seal. If it has Half the beating my car has taken you might be good if it has been maintained. You cant go back and change the oil and filter and do trans maintenance but you can start when you start your time with the vehicle. Like my dad used to tell me, " you pays your money, and you takes you chances."
It's all a gamble.

Back