You can type here any text you want

newbie trying to build a block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackazz

Not a Gn
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Help me out with some info.I just bought a 30over block,stock heads,cam is 210/205,crank is 10/10 high valume oil pump.I have never built a engine before but I'm not that dumb just looking for some direction an what I need to be doing first an what needs to be upgraded?

2nd place is 1st place loser!

First thing is not to get in a hurry to get it together. Take your time and do research and gather info for build specs...tons of info on here and other places.

I recommend to ditch the HV oil pump its not needed.

Basics......Run a standard oil pump and port the front cover and set up the end play on the gears to around .002.

Pick a ET and build around that. Good policy that a wise old fart...ummmm..... Grumpy says...LOL

Pick 2 from below

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Ported factory Iron heads can get in the tens with ease.
Stock crank, two center caps, stock rods and forged pistons works well and will last and can cut off some cash vs forged and theres obvious strength losses with that choice. Key to any build forged or not is the tune and avoid detonation.

Really need a et goal to really get detailed assistance

turbo nasty said:
First thing is not to get in a hurry to get it together. Take your time and do research and gather info for build specs...tons of info on here and other places.

First thing I recommend is ditch the HV oil pump its not needed. Basics......Run a standard oil pump and port the front cover and set up the end play on the gears to around .002.

Pick a ET and build around that. Good policy that a wise old fart...ummmm..... Grumpy says...LOL

Pick 2 from below

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Ported factory Iron heads can get in the tens with ease.
Stock crank, two center caps, stock rods and forged pistons works well and will last and can cut off some cash vs forged and theres obvious strength losses with tah choice. Key to any build forged or not is the tune and avoid detonation.

Really need a et goal to really get detailed assistance

Thanks for the info.So what I had in mind was et goal of around 11's not looking to go all out wild,I also have about a grand to play with.The guy I got this block from broke the crank in two,broke two piston so ill be looking for a set of pistons also what's a good piston an at a fair price?He already had the block an crank checked (new crank) he just moved on to a sixty over an just about gave me this thirty over block

I would be VERY suspect of that block. It is probably cracked. I have never seen a 109 block live after a crank failure. First step is to have it magnufluxed. Then we can talk about what to do.

Ok I have it at the shop now.Having it hot dunked an new freeze plugs an cam bearings installed.So ill call an ask tomorrow thanks for the heads up.

turbo nasty said:
Check the center main webbing very closely for cracks

Ok anything else off the top of your head I need to ask?

Cap registers for walk...might as well get the center caps and have it done. But....very important the shop knows these buicks when line bore/honing the caps!!!

Please consider doing a complete build thread with pics that detail your progress. I'm considering building my own short-block so I will be following your progress.

Thank you
~JM~

Back