NEXT UPGRADE?

carryon525

Keep in mind I do not race this GN. I am debating on ALKY which I've had in the past (diff GN) or a SLIC stretched as my next upgrade. Of course next year I plan on getting a higher stall and nice tranny rebuild. I do not race however I love to have the power to play on the street. So will I waste my money on a stretched IC and ALKY if I do not race? Should I go with one or both? I may have a board member on here that has a Stretched IC and I'll know this weekend on that. Just a little on my combo TE-44, .10 over, Weisco Pistons, 206/206 cam, BM intake, LT1 MAF, ported and polished heads, heavy springs, 3' dump, exhaust, TT 93 chip burned for 18PSI, MT DRAG Radials, RJC plate.

I just want to get something that I hop in the car and think I'm in a whole new GN. I know for sure a 3200 stall and rebuilt tranny will really wake up my ombo but I need to consider the tun first (no knock)

Alky... I am not sure what gains you will get the from IC. Someone with more experience is bound to sound off though.

You don't need the intercooler. Go with the Alky Control. I went from a stretch stock mount intercooler back to a stocker with a Dutweiler neck.

You need more boost than 18 psi to think you're in a different car. Do you have E85 in your area that you can access easily? If so convert to that and be on high boost all the time!

^^^^This. At 18psi you won't feel a difference between the 44 and a stock turbo. Alky (or E85) and boost is what you need to take advantage of that bigger than stock turbo as well as the rest of the parts on your build. Many have gone far with just a Dutt neck intercooler. Don't need a 3200 stall either imo but you will need tranny work eventually if its stock :)

You need more boost than 18 psi to think you're in a different car. Do you have E85 in your area that you can access easily? If so convert to that and be on high boost all the time!
I think we do but I thought e85 was low test cheap fuel? Please explain.

E85 has a much higher octane compared to the gas you're currently using. The actual octane of E85 can vary depending on the season and/or who you talk to. Regardless of what the real number is you can definitely run way more boost on it. Visit the E85 section on this board to learn more about it. If it is readily available in your area you might want to give it a try. It's like a drug. Once you try it you'll be hooked :D

E85 has a much higher octane compared to the gas you're currently using. The actual octane of E85 can vary depending on the season and/or who you talk to. Regardless of what the real number is you can definitely run way more boost on it. Visit the E85 section on this board to learn more about it. If it is readily available in your area you might want to give it a try. It's like a drug. Once you try it you'll be hooked :D
Recommend filling car up or half and half 93? Do I need to change anything else on my car or just fill up?

Recommend filling car up or half and half 93? Do I need to change anything else on my car or just fill up?

I'm not up to speed on E85, but I believe you will need to modify your fuel feed system, injectors & chip. Although the octane rating of alcohol may be higher than gasoline, the BTU content is lower. You need to burn more fuel.

So will I waste my money on a stretched IC and ALKY if I do not race? Should I go with one or both?
the car will work a little better with both,but get the alky 1st as you will be able to make the boost and this will transform the car.i will warn you that a 44 on alky can be an awesome street car with the boost turned up and will take out the transmission.keep it simple and tune the car.

Stock intercooler can easily support high 11s, go for the alky best bang for the buck..
A quality converter would be next on my list.. it will be a different car at 24 then 18psi

Full Throttle has just introduced a new line of turbo application converters. Mike can explain why they are so special, but that could be my next upgrade.
I just did the Razors alky kit, and have been staying at 22psi with my TE44. 0 knock. Will start tuning this week. I expect good things to happen. I did go with a TT alky chip

The question of what you need to change to run E85 is quite similar to “what oil is best?” or “what spark plug?”. Lol. Ask 5 different people and you’ll likely get 5 different answers. As an example, some feel you should change all your fuel lines and run a E85 specific pump while others do fine with stock lines and whatever pump they had before the switch. There may also be those who might advise you not to do it based on their bad experience with it. One thing for certain is E85 requires more fuel. You will need a new chip but you didn’t list your injector size so I don’t know if what you have is adequate. You will have to come to your own personal conclusions at some point with some of the conflicting data.

My suggestion would be to 1). Establish a goal. This should be the first step for any mod, not just E85. Your goal could determine what you may or may not have to change. 2). Do a lot of reading in the E85 Forums. Tons of info there. If after all that reading you still have questions, post them up there.

As for whether to go all in with E85 or mix with 93, I would say go all in. If I had access to E85 that would the route I would take. As it is I only have access to E100 (some call it E98) and therefore have no other option.