Nice to see info on emissions on a performance board

f-body

Thanks for this thread/ catagory on emissions. I do not own a Buick I have a 74 Z28. Texas in the Dallas Ft Worth area has gone to the new emissions testing and while it has not reached my county yet its right next door. I figure in 3 years it will be here. While a stock 74 would be no problem cause i think I am exempt because the car is so old but I feel I should do my part. i have talked to the local shop i take my car to get inspected at and he said I could convert to efi as long as I keep all the stock stuff. Ok I can do that I might have to adapt a Ford egr to my Accell Super ram for the big block but I can make it work. Then i metion twin turbos and he's like well we will have to see. I plan on taking my car to an inpsection station just to se if it passes. I am saving my money fro my Accel GenVIIplus w/wbO2 so tunning for emissions should be no problem. Just woundering if the optimum performance tune would be emissions compliant.

Sorry so long just good to see info on trying to work within the rules instead of breaking them. But to each his/her own.
Thanks again
f-body

I was looking over this post and have some questions. Is a BBC installed in your camaro? I will assume so. Does it have rectangular port head? If it does, you will not be able to run an EGR system. There is no exhaust crossover for BBC rectangular port heads. The EGR system draws a spent amount of exhaust gases and mixes it in combustion in an effort to cool peak combustion temperatures. It usually is temperature controlled and does not fuction at idle or full throttle. If any of the above is not correct, then we can address what could possible be done.

You may also have problems if the Accel reaches a "target" AF without toggling high/low like the FAST does. This is done to aid in keeping the cat lit/storing oxygen. I'm sure it *can* pass, might just take some dyno time, thats all.

Even with the new treadmill test, its not that difficult to pass. I did it with my '94 truck with a '92 TPI motor with a ZZ4 cam and no EGR, and a hollowed out cat. It idles like crap and runs very rich. I just adjusted the fuel table to make it run a little on the lean side, which makes it surge very badly at light loads....most of the inspection station guys don't know stock from modified....even with a TPI motor in a truck, they didnt look twice at it. They dont care whats on it as long as it passes the smogger.
Truck is now getting a '96 LT4 motor put in, should pass even easier then.

If you can program/adjust your ECM, you should have no problems getting it tuned to pass the smogger, with or without an EGR and even without cats. Just takes some patience to figure out what all the adjustments do in the ECM.

And your right, only vehicles 25 years of age and newer must get the emissions test no matter what year motor is in them.