You can type here any text you want

Nitrous in reverse

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
He is pretty amendment he isn't going to use it so head gaskets and dotcc shouldn't be an issue. Local guy to me was running 6.90's in the 1/8th in 90/92 time frame with 175 shot. His issue was backfires and taking maf out. Switched NOS sindle fogger nozzle for Compucar nozzle. 22psi, fenderwell dump, stock turbo/ic and took an assload of $ on the street. He now has a GN clone with a Pat Musi BBC that runs 5.70's on motor. And he street drives it.

He is pretty amendment he isn't going to use it so head gaskets and dotcc shouldn't be an issue. Local guy to me was running 6.90's in the 1/8th in 90/92 time frame with 175 shot. His issue was backfires and taking maf out. Switched NOS sindle fogger nozzle for Compucar nozzle. 22psi, fenderwell dump, stock turbo/ic and took an assload of $ on the street. He now has a GN clone with a Pat Musi BBC that runs 5.70's on motor. And he street drives it.

Yupp back in the day we had a 11.30 GN on a small shot.. we didnt bother racing cars.. went straight for the bikes.. 900rr's were our specialty :)

The Stock NOS kit was very dependable. Ya we did need a few trannys rebuilt. BUT the cars were still under warranty :D

Even if he doesn't use it, that engine has to be compromised from either the NAAAWWWWWSSS, time, or both. I'm going to lean towards both.

In the hands of a newb, these cars have a hard time surviving even when they haven't been abused. This recipe for disaster.

Much like really wanting to put a stock chip in it.

Even if he doesn't use it, that engine has to be compromised from either the NAAAWWWWWSSS, time, or both. I'm going to lean towards both.

In the hands of a newb, these cars have a hard time surviving even when they haven't been abused. This recipe for disaster.

Much like really wanting to put a stock chip in it.

Lighten up Earl .. that same motor we ran 11.30's on NAWS .. has been around for a LONG TIME .. untouched !

It actually went on to run 10.5x @ 128 on E85 without the sauce ! few years back ...

A lot more damage has been done by 87 octane then Spray on these cars

I think you missed the part about an unknown car in the hands of a newb.

They tend to tear up cars that are in good shape with no problem. The newbs that buy cars in iffy condition are even worse. Just too many additional variables.

Hell, I have a slight clue as to what I'm doing, And if I were to buy that car, I'd price it knowing the engine was coming out first thing.

I think you missed the part about an unknown car in the hands of a newb.

They tend to tear up cars that are in good shape with no problem. The newbs that buy cars in iffy condition are even worse. Just too many additional variables.

Hell, I have a slight clue as to what I'm doing, And if I were to buy that car, I'd price it knowing the engine was coming out first thing.

you ever pop a head gasket ?

Nope.

Then again my GN was only 10 years old when I was a 'newb'. (and I had GN experience when I got mine in the 90's).

Back then about the only thing bad just just sheer age was the wastegate hoses and valve springs. The ''list-of-shit-to-address-before-beating-on-the-car'' was much shorter back then. Now it's a mile long and you got to take off the cover and oil pan.

Edit: I've never popped a head gasket on a Buick V6. My TVR used to erode from the water port to the fire ring then lose a hole until I figured out a trick with Yamabond to stop that, my old FZR600 racebike used to blow head gaskets like it was a thai hooker.

Nope.

Then again my GN was only 10 years old when I was a 'newb'. (and I had GN experience when I got mine in the 90's).

Back then about the only thing bad just just sheer age was the wastegate hoses and valve springs. The ''list-of-shit-to-address-before-beating-on-the-car'' was much shorter back then. Now it's a mile long and you got to take off the cover and oil pan.

Edit: I've never popped a head gasket on a Buick V6. My TVR used to erode from the water port to the fire ring then lose a hole until I figured out a trick with Yamabond to stop that, my old FZR600 racebike used to blow head gaskets like it was a thai hooker.

your a better man than I Charlie Brown .. but then again I push my cars :)

Mine was 6 years old and stone stock when I bought it in '93. Blew a hg in 97 due to a faulty inj. Blew another @13# and race gas in tank with my fresh engine,totally crap ROL gaskets. Never blew a gasket when i sprayed 75 on mine;)

Yeah, I'm a newb. I did own an '84 GN back in '85 before they were really high performance cars. The '87 T-Type I'm looking at now has less than 4,000 miles on it from new. But obviously it was drag raced with the nitrous system. If I never activate the nitrous, do you still think the engine is potentially damaged and not worth buying?

Wow. 30+ years old and less than 4K miles.

Sounds like that car got its ass beat from day 1, then parked to grow dust.

That being said, everything's worth buying if it's bought at the right price.

Here's what you're looking at. At this point, the miles don't matter, age is the factor. That means the injectors need to be scrapped and replaced (which means a new chip), the valve springs need replacing, EVERY vacuum line needs replacing, the timing set needs replacing (might as well do the oil mods while the front cover is off), since the pan is down, replace the oil pickup with a Melling unit that doesn't have the trap door.....

and do all the normal spring cleaning slash bring back from dead stuff like fresh gas (maybe new gas tank), fuel pump, fuel filter (hope it's not a northern car and the lines break), brake lines, axle dope, etc......

THEN you can learn all the surprises and what the car really needs.

The cool thing is that once you go through EVERYTHING maintenance wise and preventive wise, you'll normally have a nice car. In this one's case though, you'll have a car that's gone through that got parked for a reason after being sprayed for only 4,000 miles.

So just buy it knowing all the work it needs, and price it like it's going to be yard art while you sort out a new engine build.

Easy peasy.

Also, flat tappet cams really aren't an option these days if you do need a rebuild soon, and want guaranteed success. Going roller is only about a grand more money and the springs might be slightly more expensive.

your a better man than I Charlie Brown .. but then again I push my cars :)

If I had a dollar every time I saw over 43* of knock retard back when my shit was original.....

I'd buy Australia. (and bang hot redheads for eternity).

No way that same engine would survive from that after all these years of aging.

No, the original owner is the one that put the nitrous in it. The second (current) owner drove it sparingly, never used the nitrous, and parked it without really meaning to leave it parked for 25 years. Time just got away from him. Long story.

I'm always leary of a car that been parked and forgotten about for years. Typically something expensive broke and the owner didn't want to fix it.

No, the original owner is the one that put the nitrous in it. The second (current) owner drove it sparingly, never used the nitrous, and parked it without really meaning to leave it parked for 25 years. Time just got away from him. Long story.

OR maybe the original owner tossed on the spray "JUST TO HAVE" and never even flipped the switch .. happens all the time .. for show not go ..

I had a TTA long ago that I bought with a kit on it ...had 80K miles on it ... I drove it for years through every winter and ran lower 12's for years and only thing that let go was the trans.. Sold it with 130K on it .. still ran like a TOP
couldn't tell you how many races that car saw .. 1000's !!! I know in 1 weekend I made over 100 passes with it ..

don't let these guys be Debbie Downers ... if its a nice car and you like it .. go for it .. if the previous owner is driving it now and again its a positive !

I say go for it !! just make sure to pay attention to the details when you take it for a test drive .. if your unsure get a local buick guy that knows these cars to go with you

Gee, my buddies stock TTA runs 12 flat without nitrous. It gets beat on regularly too.

Back