You can type here any text you want

Nitrous

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bossman

Read the postings from a search on nitrous and a few were considering but hadn't tried yet. Anyone follow thru on this? I would think a small shot would not do a lot of harm and would help the lag problem.

Well then, staying with theory. Wouldn';t the nitrous provide a cooler charge and reduce the chance of detonation.

Hot Rod magazine tried successfully on a '79 Turbo Century. They turn it on at 0pis and back off at ~5psi. Got rid of all the lag. But by the end, they were running it all the time.

Nitrous oxide will provide a cooler charge. This is the same idea behind water/alcohol injection. But water/alcohol injection doesn't itself add power and isn't viewed as cheating by as many as nitrous oxide is.

A turbo is always there, always ready, unlike nitrous oxide. Water/alcohol inection can run out as well, but it lasts much longer and can be refilled anywhere for little $$

It's all personal preference.

You're right that the Nitrous adds a cold dense charge and therfore adds power, but the increased cylinder pressure created from the additional intake charge can cause detonation. To combat this more fuel is run as a "protection method". Also an MSD boost control ignition box can help pull out some timming as boost increases. I have a small shot on my '78 turbo regal, but use the Nitrous mostly at the drag strip. There is NO turbo lag with the NOS on!

Back