No A/C blower motor power, please help!

Rags

I have voltage at the A/C fuse but nothing at the dash switchs. I'm assuming there is a wiring harness connector somewhere between the fuse panel and the dash actuator connector, but where? Any help is greatly appreciated. It's getting hot around here!

Joe

Oh yeah, it's an 87 GN

Correct fuse???

The fuse you need to check is #22 with the key on. In goes directly to the control panal. It says it's a brown wire to the control panal. From there it goes through a brown and white wire to the blower switch and resistors. then to the blower relay and then to the motor.
There is also a red fusible link that is hot all the time that is conected to the blower relay, but thats for the high speed.
I can send you a wire diagram if you like.

Rigjy. Check for AC compresor engagement. If so, the fuse/head are getting power. Check for power at the blower switch on the brown wire. The 3 lower speeds get power from the brown wire to the resistor. Thru each speed thru the high speed relay (at rest) then to the blower motor. High speed triggers the high speed relay and jumpers 12v to the motor.

Its common for the blower switch to melt and cause this problem, since on all speeds but high, the dinky little switch is handling motor current. High merely flips the relay (low current). Its also common that the "at rest" contacts in the HS relay burn and cause this.

Thanks for the responses guy's. I don't even have power at the brown wire at the switch in the dash. I know I have power at the fuse and also checked the fuse (with a meter) to make sure it was okay. I don't want to even think about having to trace wires in the dash that's why I'm looking for a harness connector somewhere. Jim, I will check the compressor tonight.

Joe

I had the same problem, turns out it was my connection by the blower under the hood, it wasd corroded, i just cleaned it up, and it works fine now.

Originally posted by Rags
Thanks for the responses guy's. I don't even have power at the brown wire at the switch in the dash. I know I have power at the fuse and also checked the fuse (with a meter) to make sure it was okay. I don't want to even think about having to trace wires in the dash that's why I'm looking for a harness connector somewhere. Jim, I will check the compressor tonight.

Joe

There is a connection behind the glove box. I forget if it carries supply from the power source, but I KNOW it goes out under the hood. Checvk it out, might have come undone

Found my problem but not the solution! The brown wire that supplies voltage to the A/C switch in the dash goes to the harness in the dash and comes out of the harness by itself with a connector on the end. It came off it's connection and I don't know where it goes. Does anyone know what it's supposed to be plugged into? I know this is the right wire because if I connect it to battery voltage the fan will come on and the speed will be controlled by the selector. By the time I figure this out it will be cool outside!:mad:

In the same vicinity of that connector there should be a mate to it.

Same brown wires. 2 cavity I think.

Just behind the center of the instrument panel according to the manual. Near the radio area you should be able to find it. :)

Second pic. in the manual shows it just to the left of the glovebox, you facing it of course, and hanging vertically down, prolly just above the control head right side of it.