You can type here any text you want

No spark, fuel, or idiot lights. What is it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jrbexhaust

I recently installed my rebuilt motor into my TTA. Its all installed, but there is no spark, fuel pressure (pump not turning on), and the dash idiot lights don't come on. The engine turns over with the starter but it doesn't start.

What could this be? Is there a fusible link that may have shorted out that all of these things are linked to?

Please help!!!!

I had the same trouble when I dropped my motor back in.
Mine ended up being the plug next to the batter that is for the ecm. It wasnt connected fully. But I think I got a check engine light on, but cant remember for sure.

Nope, with the plug pulled it won't have an SES light at all and will crank all day with nothing happening.

no spark, fuel or idiot lights. What is it?

This is the relay that is mounted on the core support near the battery right?

I will check this for power in and power out tomorrow.

Anything else to check?

No spark, fuel, or idiot lights.

This relay that is mounted on the core support. When should power come out of it? When the key is on? When the engine is cranking?

How often do these go bad?

NO, not the relay. There is a plug down beside the battery, towards the motor side not the fender side. The plug has two orange wires coming into and out of it. That is what powers the ECM. Check to make sure it is connected. As 1badTTA stated you will have the symptoms you are experiencing if there is no power to the ecm. Also check the fuse in the fuse panel for the ecm. May be there as well.

HTH

Seeing as you just had the engine out, check your fusible links and the other wires coming off the starter. Just give everything a good look to see what you forgot to plug in:D And don't feel bad as we all forget things, I guess it comes with age:D

I think I got extremely lucky when I had mine apart for over a year, started right up when I got it back together and the only thing I didn't have connected was the green temp gauge wire. Not too bad in my book.

Okay. There is continuity through all of the fusible links near the starter.

When I unplug the connector by the battery for the ECM ( 2 orange wires) and then plug it back in with the key on, the fuel pump cycles for a couple of seconds, then stops. Nothing else that I can see or hear turns on.

I've began to remove all the wire loom from the various connectors/wires in search of a short.

Its tough to get a lot done when I can only do it at break time and Wednesday nights.

Does the fuel pump cycling say anything?

I did some checking at lunch. I found that every fuse in the fuse panel has 12 volts except the crank sensor fuse. Should this have power with the key on?

Idiot lights I assume means no check engine light. Or is it seatbelts e-brake light etc. If it's just the ses light I'd look into the ecm being bad. Try to borrow one and see if it cures the prob.

Well if the fuel pump turns on for a second or two when you plug the connector back in, it tells me you have fuel pressure and power to the ECM. If you don't have power to the crank sensor, you will get no spark. Is the fuse good? Is there a cutoff switch somewhere you don't know about? If so, nice antitheft device.:D

Check into your cranksensor some more as it is most likely the cause of your no start.

The fuse is good for the crank sensor. I was told by Ron Josephson that with the key on there should be power to terminal A5. But there isn't. But there is continuity to the fuse, which has power. Weird, huh?

The car has anti-theft, but its a starter kill. The starter works.

The SES light doesn't come on. The brake lamp does and so does the seatbelt light.

ECM. The relay is what controls your fuel pump. If you want to be sure take a test light and see if your injectors are pulsing while you are turning the engine over. If not bad ecm..........

That's what I'm starting to think too. There's just so many things that aren't working that are controlled by the ECM.

There is one thing that I failed to mention. When I took the starter out druing the removal of the engine, I forgot to unhook the battery. There was a little bit of arcing that took place. I'm sure it was enough to zap the ECM.

I'll need to find one to test.

there you have it! Find someone in a local gn club and borrow one. It's prolly the prob.

Pretty sure Red Regal T is still selling them for a good price. Check the parts for sale section or PM him if you do end up needing one.

Back