You can type here any text you want

No Start Condition....HELP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
No after market anti-theft system installed. I swapped in my 85 ECM and the car started up and ran for about 5-10 seconds.....by all indications my 87 ECM has gone bonkers......anyone know if I can run my 85 ECM with an 87 OEM Stock CHIP ?

The stock chip has no anti-theft settings. He is talking about a aftermarket chip that had a anti-theft setting built in. The 85 ECM can not be used in a 87 because of the MAT sensor and fan relays along with some other items. Can't tell which year the ECM is with the missing numbers but I would assume it's 87. The stock chip (if it is stock) needs the EGR solenoid plugged in or it will set off the SES light. I would hope they left the solenoid on the engine cause it's over $200 new :eek:. I would find a local TR buddy to swap out ECM out with before dropping $125 on a rebuilt one. But that choice is up to you.

I would also suggest that you purchase a Turbo Tweak 5.7 classic chip if you decide to buy a ECM. Your car will run and idle so much better with one of Eric's chips vs the stock chip.

If chip is stock it won't have anti theft.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

@shawn what ECM should I buy.....looking for the most up to date version

Any 86 0r 87 ECM, there's no "newer" version, any with the correct PN should be fine.

Assuming the ECM is defective...

OP;
An 87 chip will not physically fit in the 85 ecm, and you would not want to run it either.
Look at the picture in the HA sticky and read through the sticky. It will answer 99.999% of the questions you posted here. :D

What super 6 said. I still recommend you try to swap out with a known working 86/87 ECM first. Throwing new parts at these cars will cost you dearly! If you could post up a few pics of the engine bay and at least one good pic of the drivers side valve cover.

Here are a few pics of engine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Well after the pics it can't be a stock chip. I see Delphi/MSD 50lb injectors, PTE SLIC, Bowling Green Customs elbow, Accufab adj fuel regulator, eyelet bolt for engine tie down. The turbo is aftermarket also. The model will be stamped inside the compressor outlet. The EGR solenoid is gone. That engine may be capable of low 12's high 11's if it's tuned right.

No EGR either.

Oops - Missed it in the above post.

First thing I would do is rip all the vacuum tubing out and replace it.

@Shawn, I set the Fuel Pressure to the factory specs 34-40 psi @ idle (with vac hose removed) should I raise it to 50lbs?
Also, what is PTE SLIC????

@Tubro BuRICK the engine fired up w/the 85 ECM for about 5 seconds then dies, however, it will restart immediately again for 5 seconds and die again....I'll be replacing the 87 ECM in the next couple of days with any refurbished unit.

@Shawn regarding the Turbo it's stamped on the inside of compressor outlet .60 (Passenger Side) 2 on the Drivers Side.
What Turbo do I have?

Back