You can type here any text you want

No start on new motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

Need a little help. Put the new motor in today and when I hit the key to on I have no fuel pressure. My battery is down a little so I charged it for a while. Shows 12.5 volts on the meter an drops to 9 volts when I crank. When I put a load on it with the tester is goes to the low side of good but not weak. I tried my jump box instead of the battery charger with same results.

How much voltage do I need to run the fuel pump?

Is there anything I missed as to why my fuel pump won't build pressure? Ground etc?

I will try a new battery in the morning but I'm looking for ideas on something I may have missed during the install.

Thanks Brett

Make sure orange wire is connected by the battery. Simple but overlooked sometimes.

Does your check engine light come on? I forgot the ground wires on the back of the passenger side head. This caused no check engine light and no fuel pulse.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had the orange wire hooked up, double checked grounds. The grounds are good. I hear a click at the relay by the gas tank too..

Trying a good battery out of my buddy's truck now.

Didn't look at check engine light, will do that with the new battery. I'll post back shortly.

Good battery, still no start. My check engine light turns on. No fuel pressure.

What can cause the fuel pump to not turn on? My friends mentioned that no oil pressure might disable fuel pump? Is that possible?

I'm new to these cars so any ideas will help.

Have you checked the fuses in the fuse box ? Also the inline fuse for the fuel pump hotwire kit if you have it.

There is a fuel pump test lead behind the alternator it's a black female plug with a single grey wire you can jump it with 12 volts and you should hear the pump come on.

Try jumpering the lead to the fuel pump. When you apply 12v it should prime. If not time to drop the tank

Not trying to insult you, but did you verify fuel level? My fuel gauge wound up being off due to sender and I was actually out of fuel when I thought I had plenty. Pump tried to prime but not enough fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called it a night at 10:30. Back at it this morning.

I know my car has fuel, almost a full tank.

I have not checked the fuse yet mainly because I hear a click at the relay behind the tank but I will check it. If there is a fuse for the hotwire kit I have not come across it since I've owned the car.

Is this the fuel pump lead?

Here are 2 other wires that are no connected yet. It may be stupid but I'll post them up since I'm out of ideas. I'm pretty sure the spade wire goes to hood light.

I can remember what the round end wire goes to. I took this apart last fall so bare with me.

There's your problem. That wire with the eyelet looks like the fuel pump hot wire lead. Should be connected to back of alternator.

Yes what he said. Goes on the same stud that the cable from the battery connects to.

That did it thanks. It was a long day yesterday and my brain was not working when we got this far. I have fuel pressure now and the car will fire but then dies instantly.

I tried it about 4 times and it won't stay running. What else did I miss?

Make sure the maf is plugged in and all hose and coupling connections are tight. Go over the vacuum lines too.

My Hot air car did that and it turned out to be a faulty MAF

Back