No start until oil pressure builds up?

klmnla

Watson LA
Is it normal for the TTA to crank over for several seconds before starting? I believe its not turning on the fuel pump until the oil pressure builds up. My 87 GN gets fuel as soon as I turn on the key. Anyone seen this?

Is it normal for the TTA to crank over for several seconds before starting? I believe its not turning on the fuel pump until the oil pressure builds up. My 87 GN gets fuel as soon as I turn on the key. Anyone seen this?
You have a gauge on the rail ? It has been a quirk on 4 different TTA's i have worked on .

If fuel pump relay goes, it will wait until oil pressure reaches I believe 4 psi.
You need to check the fuel pressure when you turn the key on. I kinda wish mind was like this always. After my car sits for a couple of days I pull out the hot wire fuse, and crank till I have oil pressure. After I get pressure I put the fuse in, and then start it.

Thanks for the advice. I will check the pressure with the key on. I do however suspect a bad relay either on the factory side or on the hotwire kit.

Thanks for the advice. I will check the pressure with the key on. I do however suspect a bad relay either on the factory side or on the hotwire kit.

If the hotwire relay was bad, it wouldn't start at all. It's most likely the factory relay not firing the hotwire relay and thus the backup oil pressure relay is firing the hotwire relay; like it should.

You need to check the fuel pressure when you turn the key on. I kinda wish mind was like this always. After my car sits for a couple of days I pull out the hot wire fuse, and crank till I have oil pressure. After I get pressure I put the fuse in, and then start it.

Not starting anything; I simply believe this is unnecessary unless there is a reason your engine is loose and bleeds down. Even after sitting a year, there is adequate startup film left on an engine that was just sitting assembled in a car. This is also why TR's and most modern fuel injected vehicles race up in rpm upon initial start; it's faster to get the oil flowing and cause less damage long term by just starting the motor than it is to grind on the motor slowly until oil starts to flow and even when it does, it's nothing like the rush of pressure formed by an engine that's running.

Not starting anything; I simply believe this is unnecessary unless there is a reason your engine is loose and bleeds down. Even after sitting a year, there is adequate startup film left on an engine that was just sitting assembled in a car. This is also why TR's and most modern fuel injected vehicles race up in rpm upon initial start; it's faster to get the oil flowing and cause less damage long term by just starting the motor than it is to grind on the motor slowly until oil starts to flow and even when it does, it's nothing like the rush of pressure formed by an engine that's running.
This is something I've always done if the car sits for a little bit. When I don't do it I hear some ticking for a second when it starts. Car has 36,000 miles on it. Is the ticking at start up normal?

This is something I've always done if the car sits for a little bit. When I don't do it I hear some ticking for a second when it starts. Car has 36,000 miles on it. Is the ticking at start up normal?

Not sure. These cars, at least mine, seems to always have me chasing a noise. If there is a problem, you're probably just causing unnecessary wear on other things. Not my car, but I'd just start it and go. Probably the cam sensor ticking until you get some heat in it and it settles, but that wouldn't make sense if priming it makes it not happen. Need to hear it. Sorry I basically made you read this whole post for nothing.

If the hotwire relay was bad, it wouldn't start at all. It's most likely the factory relay not firing the hotwire relay and thus the backup oil pressure relay is firing the hotwire relay; like it should.

Where on the TTA is the BACKUP OIL PRESSURE RELAY ??

No . .sounds like you have pressure bleed down