You can type here any text you want

non apspirated performance ?s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
was wondering what kind of mods are worth the time and effort for an 85 na regal. if i got a 4.1 intake and 4bbl would it be worth it? will the carb hook up and run with the c4 computer carb setup? will the edelbrok intake work with the 4.1 carb? what's everybody gettin for mileage on these cars anyway? would like to get close to stock v8 power for that year which i don't think would be hard. any input is greatly appreciated. i have a 89 grand am that is in decent shape with 2.5 that runs great just not my thing but will keep unless i can do something with the regal i have found....unless i can find a cheap carbed turbo car (hint hint).

The usual mods will wake it up but it won't be a 300hp monster. A cam, headers, 4bbl intake and carb will make a huge difference. The spreadbore carb (stock 4.1) will NOT work with the Performer manifold without an adapter. The stock 4bbl manifold is tough to beat though. Those mods should be good for about 200 HP.

fuzzyGN said:
......The stock 4bbl manifold is tough to beat though. Those mods should be good for about 200 HP.

Nope....not that high, perhaps maybe 170 HP w/all the above mentioned upgrades. However just the stock carb and 4.1 intake arrangement alone gives about 125 HP. I agree, that's tough to beat price-wise. (Good bang for the buck comparing the stock dueljet 110-115 HP arrangement). :D

The Edelbrock w/adapter will be a great bolt on using the stock carb. Only problem is if it's a Regal you'll have to use an Edelbrock 2" air canister/filter arrangement. This brings you up to about 150 HP w/o the above mentioned upgrades.

Now if you're going to go for the the whole traditional upgrade mentioned with the Edelbrock intake......about 190-200 HP! :eek:

Now all this would be worthless if you don't change the rear end. Acceleration with the stock 2.41 rear gears sucks big time. It just won't! Even at 200 HP. :(

Upping the rear gears to 3.08 or above will make the bohemoth wake up the asphalt a little. You should be able to burn some rubber by then.

Heck, even with the stock 4.1 intake and the upgrades upping the rear makes a big differance, (the stock V6 Dueljet Regal just does'nt accelerate very well at all). :frown:

I got a set of headman headers -jet hotted and true dual cat back system for one if interested in any or all of it. very reasonable.

usetaboost said:
was wondering what kind of mods are worth the time and effort for an 85 na regal. if i got a 4.1 intake and 4bbl would it be worth it? will the carb hook up and run with the c4 computer carb setup? will the edelbrok intake work with the 4.1 carb? what's everybody gettin for mileage on these cars anyway? would like to get close to stock v8 power for that year which i don't think would be hard. any input is greatly appreciated. i have a 89 grand am that is in decent shape with 2.5 that runs great just not my thing but will keep unless i can do something with the regal i have found....unless i can find a cheap carbed turbo car (hint hint).
I have a good used clean 4.1 intake if your interested. See if you can find a rear out of a monte SS with the 3.73 or 3.42 gears (i saw several this fall at swap meets for around $300) and switch the trans to an overdive unit 700r-4 or 200-4r. See if you can find the passenger side exhaust manifold off of a 78 NA regal. If you open the ports up on it will flow a lot more air than the later design. You will have to connect the crossover further downstream in the exhaust because that manifold has no provision for a crossover. Those mods alone will shave off a few seconds of et and the car will have some snap in first gear. The bottle comes to mind also.

Back