You can type here any text you want

NON-buick problem (05 Evo)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WH1_T-Type

All right...there is a horror story that led to me being in temporary custody of a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo for a friend of mine that now lives in Kings Bay GA. But we won't go into that right now.......point is I have the car.

I took possession of the car today. I look over on the drive home from picking it up and notice that the boost gauge is not reading anything. So at the next light I build some boost up and the gauge is definitely not working.

I think "OK...have to address that later..but lets see what this car can do"

So I start going through the gears from a stop and as soon as the car gets up around 3-4k RPM it seems to fall on its face. It does this in EVERY gear MOST of the time.

I tried from about 20 mph in 2nd gear and the car went all the way through the RPM range with no problems.

I drove this abomination of a car when he first picked it up and everything seemed fine. Drove great and was fun! Then he took it in to get a check engine light looked at and said he noticed this issue right after that....at which point he went out to sea on a submarine.

So what could be causing this? I really don't think I am going to do any work on this car myself since it is not my car. But I can go ahead and pull the plugs and check those for him. (that's where I am planning on starting)

I have joined an Evo forum to ask around there, but I haven't been verified yet.

Any insight would be useful!

Thanks

So what was the check engine light code? Is the boost gauge mechanical or electric?

These are excellant questions!

and I will try to get the answers from the owner/forums!

Gauge is Mechanical. He actually has two that aren't working, the other one is an aftermarket temp. I suspect those just aren't hooked up correctly.

Could be the boost line is off of the boost gauge and creating a vacuum/boost leak.

X2

Could be the boost line is off of the boost gauge and creating a vacuum/boost leak.

Check for vacuum leaks. May have a hose that poped off under high boost. This condition will most likely make the car run lean under boost. So, don't put your foot into it untill you fix the problem, or you may hurt the engine. Let us know how it goes.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Back