You can type here any text you want

not running a PCV valve

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Another thing I was wondering about....is if the alky would help keep things clean?

Or if you wanted to do this.....before cars were fitted with PCV's they had a tube that ran out of the block down towards the road. The vacuum created on the tube by driving the car would suck out the fumes and leave them on the road.

I plugged mine temporarily to see what happens and it ran rich at idle. In traffic, the fumes coming out of the valve cover breathers were very noticable and gave me headaches. I ended up putting in a check valve from SE Turbo to prevent boost in my crankcase under boost.

Ed that's what I did also, except I put the check valve in front of the PCV. That way while cruising around town the PCV can still do it's job but as I build boost the check valve keeps boost from even getting into the PCV.

The pcv valve serves two functions, first, as an emissions control. Crankcase vapors would be a huge component of air pollution if it weren't for the pcv. In fact, the pcv was the first emissions component installed on cars.

Second, the pcv helps with oil longevity. Inside your crankcase you have a nasty mix of fuel vapor, water vapor, and some acids that form in the process. Without a way to escape, they condense and fall back into the oil. Your oil goes to crap very quickly without a pcv.

The way the factory incorporates a pcv is to keep a constant flow of fresh air through your crankcase under vacuum to eliminate these harmful vapors. Air enters from the tube behind the aircleaner, through the crankcase, and then back through the engine to be burned. When properly set up there is no performance detriment to having a pcv valve because at WOT there will be no oil vapors being consumed by the engine.

The pcv valve acts as a check valve, and a restrictor all in one limiting the total amount of airflow the engine can pull from the pcv. This is why there are different valves for different engines. The orifice size and weight of the puck are taylored to meet the engine's vacuum signature. A lot of us in the TR world add a secondary check valve because the pcv tends to leak. In this case, the pcv is just there playing the role of restrictor. If you were to just install a check valve you would have the equivalent of a large vacuum leak.

If you doubt the necessity of a pcv on a street car, i suggest finding someone that has one with a moisture seperator inline. You will be amazed at the fluid that comes out of these things. Its a milky mess of water, oil, fuel, and God knows what else that would otherwise be right back into your oil.

The pcv valve serves two functions, first, as an emissions control. Crankcase vapors would be a huge component of air pollution if it weren't for the pcv. In fact, the pcv was the first emissions component installed on cars.

Second, the pcv helps with oil longevity. Inside your crankcase you have a nasty mix of fuel vapor, water vapor, and some acids that form in the process. Without a way to escape, they condense and fall back into the oil. Your oil goes to crap very quickly without a pcv.

The way the factory incorporates a pcv is to keep a constant flow of fresh air through your crankcase under vacuum to eliminate these harmful vapors. Air enters from the tube behind the aircleaner, through the crankcase, and then back through the engine to be burned. When properly set up there is no performance detriment to having a pcv valve because at WOT there will be no oil vapors being consumed by the engine.

The pcv valve acts as a check valve, and a restrictor all in one limiting the total amount of airflow the engine can pull from the pcv. This is why there are different valves for different engines. The orifice size and weight of the puck are taylored to meet the engine's vacuum signature. A lot of us in the TR world add a secondary check valve because the pcv tends to leak. In this case, the pcv is just there playing the role of restrictor. If you were to just install a check valve you would have the equivalent of a large vacuum leak.

If you doubt the necessity of a pcv on a street car, i suggest finding someone that has one with a moisture seperator inline. You will be amazed at the fluid that comes out of these things. Its a milky mess of water, oil, fuel, and God knows what else that would otherwise be right back into your oil.

Well said Pablo, not to say anyone is wrong for not using one. The racers are changing oil often anyways and they are mainly for track use. If you are on the streets then you should run one or, some type of vacuum pump evacuation system.

Rick

I was sucking lots of oil and getting knock plus a ton of smoke at WOT. I put a catch can and some check valves and solved my problem. When I did my search on this subject I found a very, very long thread dealing with this back about 5-6 years ago. I dont remember what the title was but you will know it when you see it. Lots and lots of replies and views. In that thread there is a lot of good points but no winner. The ole PCV argument is like religion and politics.

Its pretty much for what ever suits you are your cars needs.. Both options are good, it just depends on what you are doing with your car, like Rick stated

Back