You can type here any text you want

Notching teh Frame

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
I am planning on doing this over the Winter. My question is that with 28.5 x 10.5 Slicks, what would be the BS to get on my new 15 x10 Wheels?

Also if you are looking on getting some Rails, check out this guy I find he sells them for cheap

DCA Racing & Fabrication - What's New

I am planning on doing this over the Winter. My question is that with 28.5 x 10.5 Slicks, what would be the BS to get on my new 15 x10 Wheels?
Joe, if you don't plan to go any bigger than 10.5"x28.5" slicks, then it's not absolutely necessary to notch the frame. That's what I have on my car and my frame is not notched, BUT my slicks are mounted on 8" wide wheels (rear spacing of 3.5"). If you're using some 10" wide wheels, then yes, you'll probably have to notch the frame and at the same time, you might as well roll the fender lips...I'm not 100% sure, but about the rear spacing for the 10" wheels, but I think 4.5" should be good...I do have some 15"x10" wheels with a r.s of 4.5" for the street, but the street tires I have are not as high and the sidewall bulge is not as wide as the slicks...

Claude. :wink:

Joe, if you don't plan to go any bigger than 10.5"x28.5" slicks, then it's not absolutely necessary to notch the frame. That's what I have on my car and my frame is not notched, BUT my slicks are mounted on 8" wide wheels (rear spacing of 3.5"). If you're using some 10" wide wheels, then yes, you'll probably have to notch the frame and at the same time, you might as well roll the fender lips...I'm not 100% sure, but about the rear spacing for the 10" wheels, but I think 4.5" should be good...I do have some 15"x10" wheels with a r.s of 4.5" for the street, but the street tires I have are not as high and the sidewall bulge is not as wide as the slicks...

Claude. :wink:

4.5 was about what I was thinking. My Slicks mounted on my 8" Wheels are too rounded. I have to go with 10" wheels.
Thanks for the info..

Joe:cool:

The pic in my sig is a 28"x10.5" MT slick on a 10" rim with no frame notch. The outter lip is rolled though. The BS was marked in the back of the rim by the previous owner, it says 4 7/8". Doesn't hit or rub anywhere and requires no spacers.

DSC07220.jpg

I don't know where everyone is getting these backspaces from, but the main reason to have a frame notch is so that you can use a rim with 5" backspace or more.

I currently have 15x8.5 rims with a 5" backspace and I have plenty of room on the inside with a notch. On a 15x10 rim there is less bulge so you gain more clearance on the frame side with the same backspace but the main issue is clearance on the lip. The 10" rim moves the outside farther away compared to a 8" or 8.5" with the same backspace. If you want the rear height to sit close to stock then the tires will need to tuck in under the lip. You also have to worry if the rear is not centered perfectly and leave room for that or else fix it. If you go with less than 5" backspace, you'll need to make sure the car is high enough so it won't rub on the lip and having shocks you can make super stiff will help limit the travel to prevent rubbing the outer wheel well.

I was tired of the jacked up look and was able to lower the car in the rear with no issues once I went to the 5" backspace. With a 15x10 rim it would have been close on the outer lip on a 5" backspace.... a 5.5" backspace would have been ideal. See pics of my car in the thread here. In these pics I have 275/60 MT drs on 15x8.5 rims with 5" backspace. I have a second set of the 15x8.5 rims with 28x10.5 slicks mounted but no pics with them on the car.

I was tired of the jacked up look and was able to lower the car in the rear with no issues once I went to the 5" backspace. With a 15x10 rim it would have been close on the outer lip on a 5" backspace.... a 5.5" backspace would have been ideal. See pics of my car in the thread here. In these pics I have 275/60 MT drs on 15x8.5 rims with 5" backspace. I have a second set of the 15x8.5 rims with 28x10.5 slicks mounted but no pics with them on the car.

X2.. here is a 275 MT drag radial on a 10" rim with 5.25 backspace on Melissa's GN. There a lot of threads on this in here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 347
Dan does that car have a frame notch or rolled lip on fender?:eek:

Let me clarify something. I have a set of Hoosiers Slicks 28x10 mounted on 15x10 rims, and I have set of M&H Racemasters 28.5x10.5 mounted on rims, and the Hoosiers look like Duncan Donuts beside them. Their is a radical mistake on measurements. The Hoosiers are actally 27" and about 2" narrower than the M&H.
So this is why I want to Notch.. The will not fit unless I use a 1/2" and still they rub...I want to stick with the M&H...........They Stick like Crazy Glue..
here is a pic with the spacers, and the Fender Rolled.

Joe

Attachments

• DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 301
I don't know where everyone is getting these backspaces from, but the main reason to have a frame notch is so that you can use a rim with 5" backspace or more.

I currently have 15x8.5 rims with a 5" backspace and I have plenty of room on the inside with a notch. On a 15x10 rim there is less bulge so you gain more clearance on the frame side with the same backspace but the main issue is clearance on the lip. The 10" rim moves the outside farther away compared to a 8" or 8.5" with the same backspace. If you want the rear height to sit close to stock then the tires will need to tuck in under the lip. You also have to worry if the rear is not centered perfectly and leave room for that or else fix it. If you go with less than 5" backspace, you'll need to make sure the car is high enough so it won't rub on the lip and having shocks you can make super stiff will help limit the travel to prevent rubbing the outer wheel well.

Good info here.
So what I am going to do is mount one of my M&H on the ( 15x10) Auto Drag's I have. These are 4 7/8 BS and I will go from there on how much to Notch the Frame to Clear with these Slicks. This will give me a good giudeline on where I am going.
Thanks for your post.

Joe

Dan does that car have a frame notch or rolled lip on fender?:eek:

Both.. we rolled the fenders first . worked great .. Then we went to a 325/50/15 MT drag Radial. Then it was time for a frame notch to me. I don't like the car sitting on top of the tires or the tires sticking out. :cool:

Back