You can type here any text you want

Nubee w/? about 1982 Regal 231/3.8

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jtw37

Like it says, I'm new here. I was doing a Google search for some info on the 82 Regal engine and this Forum came up in the search. Didn't realize that so many were messing with the 3.8 V6. Anyway, a bit about me, I'm in my early 60's am a Street Rodder and Classic lover. I've owned a few Buicks over the years. Probably the the one I liked the most, was my 67 400 GS. Man what a car that was. Anyway, I'm retired and am looking at finishing up a 31 Chevy project. I pulled the 231 from an 82 Buick Regal a few years ago and just started thinking about sticking it in the 31 Chevy. I like to be different. It is not a Turbo, it is a 2 barrel carburetor and at this point in time I am leaving it that way. The only 3.8's I'm familiar with is the one in my old 93 Bonneville and a 98 Park Ave. Those are a good dependable engine with no complaints from me. So, I did find some info on the 82 engine, but would like to find out some more from those that are in the know about this engione. I have the complete engine, trans and all the wiring from the firewall out. I also have a computer that came out of the car, but want to dump all the electronics which I think means I need to find a different carb for it. If the engine proves out, I may make some changes in that area. But due to my fixed income, A Turbo setup is probably out, but may try to upgrade to a 4 barrel intake and carb. Also plan to do some of the external parts in Powder Coat. So, my main question is, am I wasting my time with this engine? It's not going to be a racer, just mainly a cruiser. Anything I need to be aware of about it, like pitfalls and forget using it? Sorry for the long post, I'm usually not this windy, unless you ask my wife. :) Thanks, JT

v6

First of all welcome to one of the best buick gn-ttype net sites ,you can learn quite a bit about your engine here but there is also plethora of info here :Resources ..The buick v6 is a very good engine and for the purpose that you want to use it for it will last you a life time .I beleive that four barrel intakes were used only on the 4.1 liter buick .Good luck with your project ..:cool:

Welcome!

Its nice to see people still finding a soft spot for the poor ol V6!

Come on into the Before Black section of this forum, we deal with NA and early turbo systems. we can get ya all set up and good to go!

:biggrin:A.j.

Welcome!

Come on into the Before Black section of this forum, we deal with NA and early turbo systems. we can get ya all set up and good to go!

+1
Welcome!

Welcome!

+1
Welcome!

WELCOME A BOARD!!! Glad to see another one of us on the board. Do some searching in the b4black section and I think you'll like what you find. There's lots you can do with an NA (natually asperated) Buick V6. so please ask questions and remember that whether you've got a turbo or not you're one of us.:biggrin:

Fellow Hotrodder

JT,
I'm also building a resto-mod hotrod with a NA 3.8L V6 (German iron though). Check my web site for info on how I built my engine, there are several pages describing the mods and assembly.

PHOENIXHOBBIES dot COM

I just drove the car for the first time about two weeks ago and it was a real treat, the V6 is going to be blast to drive. I put up a short video on youtube that lets you know what the engine sounds like. Search Youtube for:

"first drive milestone" porsche 914 v6

These guys on this forum have been a wealth of information and have been very helpfull with some "difficulties" I experienced while getting the engine running.

Paul

Back