You can type here any text you want

Obvious answer but I have to ask

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Since 89 octane gas is $0.10 higher than 87 octane, a tank-full for me is roughly $1.60 more expensive. If there is some additive that would boost 87 to 89, what is it and could it be had for less than the pump price difference (not to mention the PIA difference)?

John the additive I use is methanol injection. Lol. I do run 89 octane with the meth. I have the car on the safe side with only 20psi. Zero knock and 800's on the O2. I do sometimes put 93 in it if I want to turn it up a little but I prefer to keep it safe. The meth is $4 a gallon and I can go through three or more tanks of gas before I go through a gallon of meth and I still get the extra power.

Thanks but it is just for an everyday n/a car. No injection is needed. I was looking for an octane booster. E85 won't work for this because it adds alcohol and yes that will raise octane but will also hurt the MPG. Plus it's not as cost effective as just buying 89 straight up.

Just watch out with your gas stations in Indy. They had it on the news that a few of them have had water in their tanks. That will really hurt the mpg's. it wasn't from ground water, it was sent to them in the trucks that way. Ouch!!!

Yeah, I just read about that on another board. Happened to me back in '86 driving an Omni. Full tank of gas-scented water. Ruined a $250 electronic carb. Gas station stonewalled me. That was a bad time, I had no $.

OMG! NO!! don't put any MMT into your motor!!!! I can't believe anybody could still, in good concience, recommend that crap!! :mad:

Since 89 octane gas is $0.10 higher than 87 octane, a tank-full for me is roughly $1.60 more expensive. If there is some additive that would boost 87 to 89, what is it and could it be had for less than the pump price difference (not to mention the PIA difference)?

Yes but it will cost you more than $1.60, Your call

OMG! NO!! don't put any MMT into your motor!!!! I can't believe anybody could still, in good concience, recommend that crap!! :mad:

I didn't really intend to "recommend" it. It's the only thing on the shelf that will actually raise the octane of a whole tank of gas.

But it has been linked to some problems. Of course, this guy is asking about adding something to a tank of 87 to raise it 89 and do it for under $1.60, so I don't think he's really dealing with a full deck.

Im thinkin torco but even if you buy it in volume ($320 / 5 gallon pale) it would cost you $3 per 15 gallon fill up to raise 87 to 89 (4oz to 10 gallons)...pump gas is lookin pretty good

Back