Offered a position in the gulf coast & I have a year to decide where to relocate

gordyzx9r

Super stoked, I was offered a position with a great company in the gulf coast. It's a regional safety manager position, with the main facilities in Mobile, Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge. I don't have to live in a certain area, but they would like me to move closer at some point to reduce travel time. I'm retiring from the military in 82.5 days and my wife will retire in approximately a year from now, so we're looking at FL & AL for tax purposes as AL does not tax retirement pay but FL doesn't have an income tax. We'd prefer to live as far away from the coast to not have to worry too much about hurricanes and we're also concerned about flooding. With two young kids (6 & 9) we're very concerned about the quality of the schools.

Any recommendations?

Anybody in the Mobile or Pensacola areas?

I've heard Bay Minette is nice, or maybe Crestview.

I spent some time in Bay Minette, it's not my kind of place. Too small, too quite.....and I like small and quite.

For the record I am from New Orleans, and have spent some time in Baton Rouge and that's a great place to live.

I spent some time in Bay Minette, it's not my kind of place. Too small, too quite.....and I like small and quite.

For the record I am from New Orleans, and have spent some time in Baton Rouge and that's a great place to live.

I have to visit NOLA and Baton Rouge once a once. Not a big fan of New Orleans, Baton Rouge is very nice but financially we're better off living in AL.

I live in South central AL in Andalusia which has about 10,000 population. I lived in Mobile for 5 years and loved it. The eastern shore area is nice also (Daphne, Foley, Fairhope). I'm 45 min from Crestview and it is a nice sized city also. Land taxes in AL are much less than FL, so keep that in mind as well.

Live in biloxi (keesler afb). decent area..right on the beach (even though the beach is crappy) but its home to Crusin the coast. 1st week of oct every year..around 5500 classic cars registered last year..decent size group of gns too.

I live in South central AL in Andalusia which has about 10,000 population. I lived in Mobile for 5 years and loved it. The eastern shore area is nice also (Daphne, Foley, Fairhope). I'm 45 min from Crestview and it is a nice sized city also. Land taxes in AL are much less than FL, so keep that in mind as well.

I drive thru Andalusia constantly as I make my way to I65 to head to I10...and then back again on the return trip home to Enterprise. We have another year to decide...but we're thinking of Saraland, north of Mobile.

Saraland or Chickasaw area is not bad at all. I would also look at Spanish Fort/ Eastern shore area depending on what works best for you as far a location to your work. All of those areas have a small town feel to them.

I thought you were heading up to Huntsville. The coast is great. I have a place down in Gulfport. Planning to move the cars there and live there full-time soon.

I thought you were heading up to Huntsville. The coast is great. I have a place down in Gulfport. Planning to move the cars there and live there full-time soon.

Well, that's where I had hoped to be but fate had other plans...my district is the gulf coast from LA, to lower AL, and the FL panhandle.