Oh no! Heater Core leaking! Help!

OK, step 1 : getting the new heater core.

Where are you all (that replaced it) getting your new heater core? From the stealership? NAPA?

Does our TTA use a special one or does 'one size fit all' for third-gens?

thanks for your help!

Chris
----------
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1818 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

OK, step 1 : getting the new heater core.

Where are you all (that replaced it) getting your new heater core? From the stealership? NAPA?

Does our TTA use a special one or does 'one size fit all' for third-gens?

thanks for your help!
Got mine at Pep Boys, Lifetime Guarantee. I beleive they are all the same.

Mine's bypassed. Previous owners didn't feel like replacing it, I guess. Aside from the very rare mornings when I'd like a defroster, I don't notice it much. The A/C, on the other hand...

changing cores

.. had my blow as I was heading thru New Mexico.. on a cold weekday morning... just looped the hoses around an mopped up the coolant..
Finally got around to changing it.. but what a PITA job.. need a few hours of patience and a bit of skill..thats all.. Part # for core from Delco is 15-60034 worth about $40 or a Slant brand is cheaper # 9083. I agree most all look to be from the same originating manufacturer.

Attachments

• Heatercorechange1.jpg
    Heatercorechange1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 151
  • heatercorechange2.jpg
    heatercorechange2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 144
  • heatercorechange3.jpg
    heatercorechange3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 148
  • heatercore4_sml.jpg
    heatercore4_sml.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 146
.. had my blow as I was heading thru New Mexico.. on a cold weekday morning... just looped the hoses around an mopped up the coolant..
Finally got around to changing it.. but what a PITA job.. need a few hours of patience and a bit of skill..thats all.. Part # for core from Delco is 15-60034 worth about $40 or a Slant brand is cheaper # 9083. I agree most all look to be from the same originating manufacturer.

Dave, did you actually take the complete dash out to replace the heater core or did you do it for some other reason? Any chance you could e-mail me higher resolution photos as Im interested to see what it looks like underneath the dash for future references, you got my e-mail address.

Cheers

Heater Core Pictures

.. Jan.. that's as big as I've kept of the pictures.... Did the work close to maybe 2 years back.

what size hose did you use to bypass the heater core? There are two different diameters. I imagine you used the larger diameter hose and made sure it was clamped down tight on the smaller diameter??