You can type here any text you want

Oil cooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
i use this one...Want to but it or my entire oil cooler setup with AN lines, fittings and block?

Attachments

• DSC02761 (Large).jpg
    DSC02761 (Large).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 469
Why do you feel you NEED an oil cooler? Unless you are building an endurance engine, there isn't a need for a cooler. I've been building Turbo Buicks for over 20 years and remove the factory cooler on most of them and have NEVER had an oil tempurature related problem. Run synthetic oil and its happy at 290°f and if your oil is hotter than that you've got other SERIOUS problems.:eek:

Just be careful using trans coolers as alot of them have a restrictor orifice thats bypsses the core until the fluid is warm enough to thin and go through teh core.
B&M (Tru Cool) is one that comes to mind They have one thats honking big but has the restrictor.

Just be careful using trans coolers as alot of them have a restrictor orifice thats bypsses the core until the fluid is warm enough to thin and go through teh core.
B&M (Tru Cool) is one that comes to mind They have one thats honking big but has the restrictor.

Thanks for the info.

unless your running NASCAR with your buick, there is no need for an oil cooler.

Right, and GM designed one in there because they like spending extra money building GNs.

But hey 150 cooler vs 1300 turbo... why waste the money :rolleyes:

put a oil temp gauge on your car, and run it with the cooler, then without.

you tell me what happens.

ive taken oil coolers off ALL my TRs and they have been just fine.

Running an EO cooler wont hurt anyting so why not run one.

And I'll be running a nascar cooler :biggrin: Pays to know people.

Since most refer to vortex-buicks:

"Engine Cooling

An old adage states that one-third of the combustion heat goes into making power, one-third goes out the tail pipe, and one-third goes into the cooling system. Turbo cars try to make use of the heat going out the exhaust to spin the turbo when required.

The one-third that goes into the cooling system heats the oil and the coolant in the block. We need some heat in both to make the oil work properly and to minimize wear as well as enhance engine efficiency.

Most engineers seem to think that oil should be at least 180 degs in order to burn off condensation and allow the additives to properly clean. On the other hand, oil temperatures that rise much above 200 degs begin to contribute to thermal breakdown which shortens the life of the oil and its effectiveness as a lubricant. How high is safe? I would guess that the curve steepens greatly at 215-220 degs when it comes to oil life. Okay, we can change the oil more frequently, right? Yes, but.....

The but is that hot oil splashing on the bottoms of the pistons, etc. contributes to detonation. We do not want 250 deg oil heating up the piston surface and pushing our engine closer to the detonation limit that what it was when we tuned for maximum safe performance on a colder engine.

The factory oil cooler is often discarded after an engine rebuild and not replaced with an alternate cooler. Many seem to think that the only purpose of the cooler is to prevent coking in the turbo bearings after the engine is turned off by reducing oil temps. While this has some merit, the factory was also concerned about detonation and realized the need to make the engines as consistent as possible.

If you are not running an oil cooler, go buy the largest one you can find. I like the B&M style for durability. The new ones with the fan are expensive but can be more easily mounted without so much regard for external air flow. Keeping the oil in the 180-200 deg range will not only help preserve the engine life, but, will make the car easier to tune and improve consistency of performance."

hmmm. interesting read, but i only see that detenation issue happening under SEVERE conditions. by severe i mean taking your buick through the blazes of hell.

One last question: With the stock oil adaptor (sandwich plate) oil flowing thru the cooler and back into the motor is unfiltered?

One last question: With the stock oil adaptor (sandwich plate) oil flowing thru the cooler and back into the motor is unfiltered?

Yep, AND very little oil can even pass through the cooler. The by-pass opens at next to nothing in pressure differential. (deltaP) Also one VERY likely place for an oil leak, hose failure, ect. First time you drive over 3 qts of oil at the track, you'll wish you had left the cooler off. Just sayin'. To each his own. Do as stated and run a temp gauge and see what happens.

Back