Oil Feed

dereklola

IndyLights
Stage II - 252 - NA - road race.

There are two main oil feed locations - one front, one rear - both feed directly down into the main oil gallery.
Does it matter which one is used?

I changed from front to rear at last rebuild (2013) and now notice more wear on front main, rod and cam bearings. I can see that there is "higher load" at the front driving the cam, pumps etc but would not have thought feeding oil from the rear would cause lubrication problems. Maybe I need to change my mind!

Are you seeing wear across all bearings? Maybe consider front feed with a transfer tube between rear oil galley plugs. Valvetrain ext fed oil? Cam bearings properly clocked/holes aligned/journals or cam bearing conducting oil? Have you ran the oil pump with engine on stand and verified good flow to both banks of engine?

Are you seeing wear across all bearings?
- no - just #1 main, #1 rod (wiped down to copper) and #1 cam

Maybe consider front feed with a transfer tube between rear oil galley plugs.
- interesting idea but my left gallery only feeds the left bank lifter bores, via .030 drilled holes, so don't think the idea applies on my engine

Valvetrain ext fed oil?
- yes - -03 stainless hose from rear main feed to left rocker shaft - from front main feed to right rocker
- you can just see the front hose in pic below.

Cam bearings properly clocked/holes aligned/journals or cam bearing conducting oil?
- ah yes - we carefully checked the clocking on disassembly

Have you run the oil pump with engine on stand and verified good flow to both banks of engine?
- yes when on dyno at last rebuild (2013) - no problems.
- but not sure what you mean by "both banks of engine" - all main, rod and cam bearings are fed from RH gallery - at least in my case.

After changing from front to rear main oil feed my running oil pressure remained 90+ psi - this convinced me the change was OK - maybe false confidence! My oil pressure sensor is fed from tap adjacent to front feed location so if it had dropped with rear feed I would have suspected possible oiling problems.

My question remains - does anyone see any problems or difference feeding front or rear locations. What do other people use. I'm talking a dry sump with external oil feed - hope that was obvious. Just for my reference where/how does a wet sump system feed oil into the RH gallery?

Thx - Derek

V6 July2013.JPG

Are you seeing wear across all bearings? Maybe consider front feed with a transfer tube between rear oil galley plugs. Valvetrain ext fed oil? Cam bearings properly clocked/holes aligned/journals or cam bearing conducting oil? Have you ran the oil pump with engine on stand and verified good flow to both banks of engine?
????????????????

"Nasty" - not sure what the ???????????????? indicate - haha - maybe my earlier reply wasn't readable by you - it was all in italics - repeated below.

Are you seeing wear across all bearings?
- no - just #1 main, #1 rod (wiped down to copper) and #1 cam

Maybe consider front feed with a transfer tube between rear oil galley plugs.
- interesting idea but my left gallery only feeds the left bank lifter bores, via .030 drilled holes, so don't think the idea applies on my engine

Valvetrain ext fed oil?
- yes - -03 stainless hose from rear main feed to left rocker shaft - from front main feed to right rocker
- you can just see the front hose in pic below.

Cam bearings properly clocked/holes aligned/journals or cam bearing conducting oil?
- ah yes - we carefully checked the clocking on disassembly

Have you run the oil pump with engine on stand and verified good flow to both banks of engine?
- yes when on dyno at last rebuild (2013) - no problems.
- but not sure what you mean by "both banks of engine" - all main, rod and cam bearings are fed from RH gallery - at least in my case.

After changing from front to rear main oil feed my running oil pressure remained 90+ psi - this convinced me the change was OK - maybe false confidence! My oil pressure sensor is fed from tap adjacent to front feed location so if it had dropped with rear feed I would have suspected possible oiling problems.

My question remains - does anyone see any problems or difference feeding front or rear locations. What do other people use. I'm talking a dry sump with external oil feed - hope that was obvious. Just for my reference where/how does a wet sump system feed oil into the RH gallery?

Thx - Derek

Ah I missed that ...on my tablet it looked like just a quote.

Id take a close look at the clocking of the front cam bearing again as well as passage restrictions in block to #1 as well as crank passages to rod bearing.

Other thoughts..... Main maybe crank is bent, journal not cut square or incorrectly set up clearance, cap not in register correctly, crack in passage to front main.

Too much typing for all the wet sump ins and outs and iterations. As far as feeding into the block with a production front cover.....in a nut shell if the front cover is used you drill though the front of the block and intersect the oil galley right where the oil is coming out of the front cover. You will need to drill valley for drain back to sump, etc

Last edited: