Oil Filter Tech

karolko

I would like to get some opinions on oil filters used primarily on higher HP cars that are not driven daily, but track queens either.

I have read alot about plugging the factory bypass on the front cover and alternatively running a bypass in the oil filter.

What i am planning on doing is running a remote oil filter and an oberg for filtration.

I called WIX filters and spoke to them about the filter micron sizing in their race filters and they told me that all their race filters are 61 micron which should be used strictly for racing purposes. They said that their regular filters are 19-21 microns typically.

Ontop of that they had two different bypass PSI setting on two of the filters that would be compatable with my system. One has a bypass setting of 8-11 psi and the second is 18-22 psi.

So here are my questions, what micron sizing do you big boys run on your higher hp street vehicles?

Secondly can someone explain how the bypass will work? I was told that this number is for the pressure difference between the oil going in and the oil going out of the filter, and not the overall pressure coming into the filter. (if that were the case, wouldn't these filter be bypassing oil all the time?

Thanks alot,

Adrian