You can type here any text you want

Oil flow through engine !!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

prostock555

i am new to the world of buick v6!! i have heard that are oiling systems send the oil through the engine and then into the turbo is that true!! that doesnt make any since to me can anyone shed some light on that!!:) i know its picked up from the pickup up tube then goes through the pump and too the cooler first? or filter then cooler? and i know the mains feed the rods!! i also know that some people will tap into the end of a aftermarket oil filter like the one tr performance sells (turbo protector) and feed the turbo right off of that can someone please paint a true picture for me thankyou...

stock setup

After the oil is run through the filter and cooler it is then directed back into the engine behind the front cover. At the point it enters the front of block, there is a port (exterior) that has a T in it. 1 port of T feed the oil sending unit--the other port has a 1/4 in. tubing feeding the top of turbo. The main oil supply then goes through a passage to the passenger side oil galley (there is a galley on each side of cam tunnel) Oil goes either behind front cam bearing or between cam bearing and cam journal ( depends on block and depends on cam) to the drivers side galley. Each galley feeds that side lifters (drivers side feeds drivers side lifters only) pass. side feeds lifters, cam journals and mains. On pass. side oil comes out of galley through a passage cast into block--down beside cam journal (feeding cam bearings) on its way to the mains.

oil flow

thankyou that makes more sence then what people were originally telling me so after leaving the filter / cooler it actually does hit the turbo first!! so all these elaborate setups where the oil is fed from the end of the filter housing to the turbo is not really needed outside of a biggie adapter..:)

There's a bypass valve in the oil pump that can open under wot and high pressure and allow unfiltered oil to go into the oil passages.Thus turbo saver allows only filtered oil to the turbo, protecting the turbo bearing from trash in the oil.

filtered oil

so if the bypass in the pump doesnt allow filtered oil to the turbo under high pressure ect wouldnt it keep oil from going through the filter thats the way i am hearing it and if that were the case and your picking your oil up from the filter for your turbo wouldnt you loose pressure to the turbo ? maybe i am not understanding thoroughly

so if the bypass in the pump doesnt allow filtered oil to the turbo under high pressure ect wouldnt it keep oil from going through the filter thats the way i am hearing it and if that were the case and your picking your oil up from the filter for your turbo wouldnt you loose pressure to the turbo ? maybe i am not understanding thoroughly

in theory yes, but the bypass doesnt reroute 100% of the oil, just a fraction of it.

some people block the bypass, but this must be done with caution.

blocking the bypass

inorder to block the bypass what is the proper procedure 1/4 pipe plug? thankyou...

inorder to block the bypass what is the proper procedure 1/4 pipe plug? thankyou...

Easy to block.Shim the spring or use a longer,stronger spring to hold the valve closed. High volume/pressure pump kits have several springs to choose from.

Easy to block.Shim the spring or use a longer,stronger spring to hold the valve closed. High volume/pressure pump kits have several springs to choose from.

NO!!!!! That is the oil pressure relief spring, NOT the oil filter by-pass. By shimming that sping you will increase oil pressure which in turn will by-pass MORE oil past the filter. The oil filter by-pass is in the oil filter adaptor, behind the oil filter. It is a pressed in deal that looks like a freeze pluf with a small black cone in the middle of it. You can remove it and plug it with a "freeze" plug or tap it NPT and install a pipe plug. If you do this, make SURE you have a large oil filter and one that has a by-pass built in. If you use a PF52 filter with the filter by-pass plugged, you will SOON find a BIG oil leak and a dead engine. I had a PF52 blow up in my face years ago experimenting with filters,by-passes, ect. It blew up at idle. Actually it blew the O-ring out of it. I cut the filter apart and it had CRUSHED the filter element internally.

VERY little oil actually goes through the filter in a Stock Turbo Buick. There is the filter by-pass and then the oil cooler by-pass, too. The filter by-pass opens at about 10 psi, maybe even less. Look at the stock oil filter and wonder how in the heck it could ever filter ANY oil. By using a large external oil filter (or the biggie adaptor) you can increase the amount of filtration significantly IF and ONLY if you block the oil filter by-pass. Study the flow schematic of the stock oiling system and you will see right away the engineered flaws in it. But with all that said, the stock system works fine.

bypass

thanks ken....i plan on plugging the bypass then running a biggie adapter along with a fram hp2 which has the internal bypass thanks alot good info you buick guys are great thanks all....

NO!!!!! That is the oil pressure relief spring, NOT the oil filter by-pass. By shimming that sping you will increase oil pressure which in turn will by-pass MORE oil past the filter. The oil filter by-pass is in the oil filter adaptor, behind the oil filter. It is a pressed in deal that looks like a freeze pluf with a small black cone in the middle of it. You can remove it and plug it with a "freeze" plug or tap it NPT and install a pipe plug. If you do this, make SURE you have a large oil filter and one that has a by-pass built in. If you use a PF52 filter with the filter by-pass plugged, you will SOON find a BIG oil leak and a dead engine. I had a PF52 blow up in my face years ago experimenting with filters,by-passes, ect. It blew up at idle. Actually it blew the O-ring out of it. I cut the filter apart and it had CRUSHED the filter element internally.

VERY little oil actually goes through the filter in a Stock Turbo Buick. There is the filter by-pass and then the oil cooler by-pass, too. The filter by-pass opens at about 10 psi, maybe even less. Look at the stock oil filter and wonder how in the heck it could ever filter ANY oil. By using a large external oil filter (or the biggie adaptor) you can increase the amount of filtration significantly IF and ONLY if you block the oil filter by-pass. Study the flow schematic of the stock oiling system and you will see right away the engineered flaws in it. But with all that said, the stock system works fine.

So back in the day the oil flter by-pass (the one in the oil filter adaptor) was needed cuz the filters did not have a built in by-pass?

So back in the day the oil flter by-pass (the one in the oil filter adaptor) was needed cuz the filters did not have a built in by-pass?

Yes, and no. The filter bypass was and is used so that if the tiny filter gets plugged, dirty oil is better than no oil. Look at a stock filter than ask yourself how in the world could it EVER flow enough oil to actually do it's intended job. If I were to guess, I would say that less than 30% of the oil volume goes through the filter. At idle, if you plug the bypass, a bigger PF52 filter will collapse in on itself, and pop the o-ring, and that is at a regulated 70 psi.
That happened to me about 18 years ago when experimenting with oil filters/adaptors. Thank God the oil was cool, or it woulda burned the crap outta my face. Direct shot to my face. THAT was fun. Made a HUGE mess, too. Thankfully I was coherent enough to unplug the orange computer power wire right in front of me. Even though the little oil pump seems inadaquate, it pumps ALOT of oil even at idle.:eek:

Pick up a copy of the Buick Power Source Manual. The stock oiling system is adaquate for engines making even 600 hp. I do a few things to help, though. Tight pump thrust clearance (.0005"-.0015") radius all passages in the timing cover. Drill smaller feed hole in the cam bearings and rotate to align with hole in block, radius all cornes in the block galleries.

Here's Earl Brown's write up, which should help, too .

How to build a front cover/oil pump - TurboBuicks.com

Pick up a copy of the Buick Power Source Manual. The stock oiling system is adaquate for engines making even 600 hp. I do a few things to help, though. Tight pump thrust clearance (.0005"-.0015") radius all passages in the timing cover. Drill smaller feed hole in the cam bearings and rotate to align with hole in block, radius all cornes in the block galleries.

Here's Earl Brown's write up, which should help, too .

How to build a front cover/oil pump - TurboBuicks.com

What page?

I thought the power source was for NA motors?

Back