You can type here any text you want

Oil leak drivers side bank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

8AV8OR2

Walking a new road
I have an oil leak that developed heavily in the last few days. Cleaned the valve cover filler off and cleaned and resealed it, cleaned off the entire side of the motor. When the car is running and gets up to temperature the oil is coming out the exhaust studs on the drivers side and the car started smoking badly. The head is dry and the oil is only coming out the upper studs on the manifold, but drips down onto the manifold and causes it to smoke from under the hood also as well as the tailpipe. Not sure if its two issues or related, any ideas???? Car is smoking at all times when warmed up, in boost or in vacuum. 84 GN. The only thing i changed on the car is i put a full exhaust on it, 3" and drove it home, it started on the way.

I have an oil leak that developed heavily in the last few days. Cleaned the valve cover filler off and cleaned and resealed it, cleaned off the entire side of the motor. When the car is running and gets up to temperature the oil is coming out the exhaust studs on the drivers side and the car started smoking badly. The head is dry and the oil is only coming out the upper studs on the manifold, but drips down onto the manifold and causes it to smoke from under the hood also as well as the tailpipe. Not sure if its two issues or related, any ideas???? Car is smoking at all times when warmed up, in boost or in vacuum. 84 GN. The only thing i changed on the car is i put a full exhaust on it, 3" and drove it home, it started on the way.

Most likely, the oil is dripping from the valve covers on the exhaust manifold.
There is no oil pressure in the heads, and the holes for the studs are "blind".
Check for crankcase pressure and make sure your breathers are open.

you can actually see the oil coming out the studs and there does not seem to be anything anywhere else, i figured if the valve covers were leaking you would seem some sort of residual coming on top of the manifolds or down the heads or block, which there is none

you can actually see the oil coming out the studs and there does not seem to be anything anywhere else, i figured if the valve covers were leaking you would seem some sort of residual coming on top of the manifolds or down the heads or block, which there is none

How much oil is coming out of the stud holes?
Maybe the studs where installed with oil which is now making its way out with the heat expansion. :confused:

its dripping out onto the manifold, its been a few years since they were installed......84

Most likely, the oil is dripping from the valve covers on the exhaust manifold.
There is no oil pressure in the heads, and the holes for the studs are "blind".
Check for crankcase pressure and make sure your breathers are open.

+1 It's the valve covers.... studs are blind holes.

Chuck

not since i had it, not sure. Maybe i'll pull them off at some point, i haven't even been driving it since it acted up. Maybe i'll get time this week to do it, i wonder if it could be getting into the ports as well causing it to smoke

You have worn valve guides and/or seals leaking on the exhaust side of the heads.

What's happening is the oil is running down the valve stem and is making it's way out of the exhaust port. It's getting between the headers and the heads. That's why it appears to be leaking from the bolt holes.

EDIT: Been there...done that!

You have worn valve guides and/or seals leaking on the exhaust side of the heads.

What's happening is the oil is running down the valve stem and is making it's way out of the exhaust port. It's getting between the headers and the heads. That's why it appears to be leaking from the bolt holes.

EDIT: Been there...done that!

X2!

I have an oil leak that developed heavily in the last few days. Cleaned the valve cover filler off and cleaned and resealed it, cleaned off the entire side of the motor.

When the car is running and gets up to temperature the oil is coming out the exhaust studs on the drivers side and the car started smoking badly.

The head is dry and the oil is only coming out the upper studs on the manifold, but drips down onto the manifold and causes it to smoke from under the hood also as well as the tailpipe.

Car is smoking at all times when warmed up, in boost or in vacuum. 84 GN. The only thing i changed on the car is i put a full exhaust on it, 3" and drove it home, it started on the way.

I agree …….. I would think that oil would drip from primarily be the “lower bolt” (??) The original post says “Upper exhaust bolt” AND, it all started in the last few days, after changing the exhaust change. :confused:

I would also suggest a potentially blown piston or broken rings, creating crankcase pressure, pushing the oil up in the chamber during the intake stroke, and out the exhaust ;) , but even at that, it does not explain the upper bolt. ..... plugs can tell that story .........

Oh one more thing ........ probably an exhaust leak if oil is making it out of the port to the studs .... seal it up and it will quit leaking. ;) :eek:

Back