You can type here any text you want

Oil Leak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nikko1

I have a small oil leak in the back of the motor that is dripping on the exhaust cross pipe that crosses over the oil pan. I'm guessing that it is the dreaded rear main seal, and if so where do I get the best parts to fix this. Anything else it may be leaking from?

Thanks

that's how mine is - i'm thinking about replacing the oil pan gasket first because even though it'll be a pain - i think that's a job i should be able to do though. ic an't tell where the leak is though....

I'm pretty sure ALL of our cars have a rear main leak at some point. I know I do.

Waiting to fix it since I'll be putting in a TC anyway.

Do a search on this board. Can't remember who, but someone had a link to a webpage with GREAT pics on how to do it.

chicagoTTA said:
I'm pretty sure ALL of our cars have a rear main leak at some point. I know I do.

Waiting to fix it since I'll be putting in a TC anyway.

Do a search on this board. Can't remember who, but someone had a link to a webpage with GREAT pics on how to do it.

You don't need to take the TC out to do a rear main seal. I almost did mine but found the pan gasket was leaking. I still have a leak somewhere and it probably is the rear main but I'm not all the worried about it, I just add oil when needed for now.

If you pull the motor mount bolts an jack or hoist the engine up you can do it. Probably have to pull the coil pack and egr solenoid for clearance. The alternative is to pull the tranny and flex plate. I've done it twice, once each way. I think it was actually easier to pull the tranny, if you have a tranny jack. If you go thru the trouble to get the pan off you've done the hard part, might as well replace the rear main seal if it's suspect.

When you put the pan back on, clean it real good and put a dab of something on the pan, set the gasket on and let it set up. I used the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive and it keeps the gasket in place when trying to get it back up in place. Also keeps the gasket from extruding out and tearing when you tighten the bolts up.

Ok if I can still see the green on the crank between the block and the flywheel does that mean it's not leaking? I can still see that on my car which is why I didn't change the rear main seal. I was assuming since that didn't have any oil on it then the rear main seal probably wasn't leaking and I didn't want to take the risk of messing it up if I didn't have to.

I need to do mine at some point also, just curious as to who's gasket and seal to get? fel-pro,delco, etc....

Back