You can type here any text you want

Oil Pan Leak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mzunino

Got my motor back in and as the title says I have a pretty bad oil leak already. Running an RJC pan & girdle. I have always heard girdles can sometimes cause that problem, but I am surprised at how much. Not sure if it is an assembly error but curious if there are any tricks or suggestions out there. The leak is on the front bolt of the pan. Bolts were checked and snugged to spec.

What type of gasket and sealer did you use on the pan?

I have to ask this ?,are you sure it's the oil pan leaking and not oil running down from some where else maybe the top of the engine; valve cover. intake gasket , turbo oil return drain , timing cover seal.

I've never had a girdle on my engine but i have heard they do leak a lot. I'm sure someone knows how to do them without having a leak problem though.

whitehot1...you posted just before I did...sorry,

You may have already checked the below AND know as well, but just my .02 input to help out:

1) Have you overfilled the oil pan...pan upgrade holds 7.5 quarts...when checking your oil dipstick should read 1 quart low--I have same RJC pan and Girdle setup.
2) Have you completely wiped off the oil location where it leaks...(and definitely let the TR sit overnight)....this way you know the car has not moved, no motion to move oil aroundthe lip of the oil pan
3) ALSO check both your valve cover gaskets...run your finger or a paper towel under them to see if oil is leaking from there, which inturn down the block to the oil pan. Ask me how I know!
4) Over torque of the pan bolts "may possibly" be the culprit as well, although you mentioned torqued to spec

Did not know about stick should read 1 quart low. Hope that solves the issue

Did you add more than 7.5 quarts when you first filled the oil pan? Even if you did why would only the front bolt of the oil pan be leaking? Just curious.

Actually that's not true about running 1 quart low with the girdle...think about it...nothing has changed in relation to the dipstick and the block...the only thing that has changed is that the pan has been lowered 3/4"...so you
can run with more oil if you desire...I don't run mine to the full mark only to keep the splash down but I run it half way between the full and add mark with the girdle...no problems

This sounds weird but I had oil pouring out of my two studs that go into the front oil cover, made no sense. Pulled them out and put some sealant on them and problem solved. This was with the RJC girdle as well.

Forzfed...glad you found the culprit!

Msdgn...Yes, you can add more oil if you wish...although, I keep 7.5 quarts in the pan, thus, showing 1 quart low on dipstick. Just don't want oil so close to the spinning crankshaft and rotating assembly. Thanks!

Back