You can type here any text you want

oil press at 80 with key on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SIXBANGR

mean old man
oil pressure gauge is pegged with the key on. Just got it all back together after 6 months. Same sender and gauge I had in it before,VDO. It does it with or without the wire hooked up.

if it"s all back together, spark it off and hold it to the floor. it's as good now as it will ever be. you might ground the guage.

pulled the gauge, the ground is fine. Ran a new one just in case. The hot wire is fine and ran a wire from the sending unit also. Still pegged with the key on. I know it has oil because the car runs fine. Could it be a bad gauge? It does it even if you unhook the sending unit. Electric VDO

pulled the gauge, the ground is fine. Ran a new one just in case. The hot wire is fine and ran a wire from the sending unit also. Still pegged with the key on. I know it has oil because the car runs fine. Could it be a bad gauge? It does it even if you unhook the sending unit. Electric VDO

Sounds like you figured it out for yourself by process of elimination. If the sender is unplugged and gauge is pegged than the only thing left is gauge.

I would venture to guess that if the vehicle is not running with the gauge pegged with accessory on than it's the gauge. Just read the last part of your post and you said it does it even if you unhook the sending unit. That pretty much sums up a bad gauge. You can goto autozone and get a cheap boost gauge and plug it up with existing setup to test.

thanks for the replys. Just wanted more than my opinion. Always figure you did some thing wrong when it was fine before the new motor.

One more opinion

By any chance when you put everything back together, did you use any teflon tape on the sending unit ?
VDO says not to use any thread sealer / teflon tape etc... with their sending units. ( or on tee going into block if you used one )

Just an idea.

Matt

By any chance when you put everything back together, did you use any teflon tape on the sending unit ?
VDO says not to use any thread sealer / teflon tape etc... with their sending units. ( or on tee going into block if you used one )

Just an idea.

Matt
x2 , if sender body doesnt ground at the threads the sender will not have any resistance and gauge will see an open on signal wire and read to infinity (pegged)

if you ground the signal wire to the block the gauge should go to zero , if it does its not the gauge , if it doesn't... ground the signal post at the gauge , if it goes to zero the signal wire has an open somewhere.
my bets on the threads of the sending unit not grounding

just did your test. the gauge does go to zero when I ground the signal wire. The sender has no tape on it and it was grounded, I checked it with a trouble light. Pulled the sender and there is something broken inside, it rattles.So now i guess the sending unit is the problem. I had ran a wire from the sender to the gauge earlier, it did nothing. Also the sender rattles if you shake it.

Back