You can type here any text you want

Oil pressure questions.... NEED HELP!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Okay pulled the oil filter adapter off to look at the wear, replace the gaskets, and try again. The gears look good, wear plate looks good, etc. I will replace both gaskets and put it back together, try it again. I may have to order the shim style gaskets because my gears stick out of the hole about .005... The gasket I used last time was my thickest, about .009. Now all I have is .007's uncompressed so it may lock up when torqued.

"""The strange thing is, you can HEAR the air sucking back into the system somewhere, and you can really hear it out of the cam sensor hole. I have the cheap oil filter gauge Teed into the oil feed at the top of the turbo and you can watch the oil suck back down in the clear line. It sounds like you are drinking with a straw, but your drink is almost gone. """

I talked to a few local guys, engine builders and race car shops about this. When priming you will hear the motor burp, fart, gurgle because you are pushing air out. And oil being comressed through small passages will make noise when it comes out (rocker arm holes). And the oil will drain back. If you turn your car on a few minutes after shutting it down, your gauge doesn't still read PSI. So I am learning this may be normal for sound. Now if I can fix the loss of prime, maybe new gaskets will help???

Attachments

• wear plate.JPG
    wear plate.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 55
  • cavity.JPG
    cavity.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 75
  • cavity2.JPG
    cavity2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 66
  • gears.JPG
    gears.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 61
  • gears2.JPG
    gears2.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 77
Dumb question.
How is the tollerance between the pump gear shaft and the housing? :confused:

My dial bore gauge won't fit in there, but it is good to go. :biggrin:

Not sloppy, nice and snug.

Alright, quick update...

I pulled the oil filter adapter off and checked it with a straight edge and it did look a tiny bit convex/concave from the surfacing I did. I had a spare off of one of my parts motors so I checked it. It was off a low lileage motor, had never been off or surfaced from the looks of it. I put a new gasket between it and hte wear plate, then had to double stack gaskets between wear plate and the front cover. The 2 gaskets made the clearances a bit too much for what I wanted, but it'll work for now. Once I did this, and primed, I heard no sucking air or gurgling at all. No lost prime!

With straight 40wt Valvoline racing oil I had ~60 cold startup, ~30 cruising highway at 2000 rpms, and after a few hard boost runs I had ~12 - ~15 at idle. Still lower than I want, but will work for now. I will most likely be getting a HV front cover in the near future. I don't think the oil PSI will be enough in the heat of Cali when I move out there in July...

I also shortened (and made it more straight down to pan) my turbo drain hose. Now I have a voltage issue that I will start another thread on. Thanks a bunch for all your suggestions and help!!!

Squid

Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

That engine could live forever if the only thing depending on it was pressure. No need to seek more IMO. A proper clearance would improve it though.

Agreed. I will be ordering a set of the shim style gaskets that are diff thicknesses from TA perf and set it up a little tighter.

Now off to fix a surging voltage issue.... :confused: Thanks Shawn!

Back