You can type here any text you want

oil pump install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ckmm

the $ money i could save
are there any tricks to puting in a new hv pump my coveris a hv cover .

The Melling High Volume kits are still available. K20ihv is the regular high volume; and K20iphv is the high volume with the thrust plate. Thrust plate adds about $30 to the mix. These fit the standard front covers.

Just remember to pack the gears with Vaseline (or regular petroleum jelly). Put the Vaseline in first; then shove the gear in. This will assure that the cavity is packed. You can use a screwdriver to turn and prime the pump with the cover on the engine before you install the cam sensor.

Everybody's got an idea on how and what to do with the front seal. I've never seen a rope seal cut into a balancer. That gets my vote.

so can i unplug the coil and turne the motor till it primes or is that not a good thing to do. i dont have a primeing tool. but i think i can make o out of screw driver and a drill

Prime the pump first before turning the motor over. You don't want to make too many revolutions on the motor without a good supply of oil to the bearings. You can use an oil pump primer for a small block chevy. That should be available at any speed shop for a few bucks.

The Chevy primer would probably work; I just use a long screw driver with a wide blade. It doesn't take very long to get the system primed; and you can feel when the pump gets hard to turn; or get someone to watch the guage.

The Melling High Volume kits are still available. ............. and K20iphv is the high volume with the thrust plate. ........

I was looking for this PN.
Could be the new search function, but took me 2 days! :(

Order 2 or more kits. Last time I did I ordered 4. They come in soft white boxes; and the parts fall out. It took 4 boxes to have enough pieces to make 2 full kits.

Good luck,

Joe

Take your time and set the thrust clearances VERY tight. I shoot for .0005"-.0015". (Half a thou.- to 1.5 thou) If you have the engine set up correctly, do NOT use a HV pump. If you NEED a HV pump to band-aid a bad bearing.......pull the engine and get the rod and main bearing clearances set to .0017" with .002" being MAX. There is no reason in my opinion to run a HV oil pump on a street driven engine. Drag race with .0025-.003" OK, fine, but there is no reason other wise.

Take your time and set the thrust clearances VERY tight. I shoot for .0005"-.0015". (Half a thou.- to 1.5 thou) If you have the engine set up correctly, do NOT use a HV pump. If you NEED a HV pump to band-aid a bad bearing.......pull the engine and get the rod and main bearing clearances set to .0017" with .002" being MAX. There is no reason in my opinion to run a HV oil pump on a street driven engine. Drag race with .0025-.003" OK, fine, but there is no reason other wise.

True.
During my more ignorant days, I purchased a HV pump and am stuck with that for now. After >15K hard miles, the front cam bearing looked good.
I run 5W30 oil and was seeing 22-24PSI hot idle Houston weather pressures. ;)
End play set around 0.001-0.0015.

If I had to do it again (Which feels like I am .... LOL!), I would just stick with the OEM cover.
You have one for sale? :tongue:

Back