You can type here any text you want

Oil upgrade....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
O.K. so I'm gonna follow GB the unboosted's suggestion. The front cam's bearing is going to be re-drilled. Right oil galley's feed side 1/8" and the left galley's exit/discharge 3/32".

According to Jim Ruggles, this alone brings up the oil pressure by 15-lbs. But he also adds, more frequent oil changes should be done as a result of the restricted oil passages. Especially for short trip 'daily drivers'. (Clogging is more then likely to occur if one does'nt).

This brings me to my question: Should'nt one use one of those hi-tech fancy micro-filters as added insurance? And if so, has anyone had good results with a particular brand? :confused:

Be careful with the hi-tech fancy micro-filters, If you use a oil with teflon or other such addivites it can clog the hight-tech filter.
I give a thumbs down to fram. I so far like the K&N oil filter.
There is a web site that does testing on oil filters, does anyone have the site??????
Jim

oil filters.

I don't have that site but I to give a big thumbs up to K&N oil filters. There is about 4 different frams out on the market and won't run a single one. Also if you run the longer filter on there (ph3980, K&N hp-2001) and the filter fails, they will basically tell you to get bent because "That isn't the oil filter that is suggested for that vehicle" just a note.

Re: oil filters.

Originally posted by pat83t
Also if you run the longer filter on there (ph3980, K&N hp-2001) and the filter fails, they will basically tell you to get bent because "That isn't the oil filter that is suggested for that vehicle" just a note.

:confused: And if you run the smaller filter and it fails, they will what, buy you a new motor? And who is "they"?

The longer filter has to meet the same industry standards as the smaller filter. And if either fails, nobody is going to do a thing for you. Especially on a 20 year old motor, a rebuilt motor or a modified motor.

The Buick V6 originally had an even bigger filter, the PF-24. The smaller PF-47 can't flow enough oil, so pressure builds up ahead of it. When this happens, oil goes through the filter bypass UNFILTERED. Bigger filters help prevent this. Even Buick recommended this in their performance guides.

Freddie;

Are you going to use a remote filter ? I swear by mine. It is a (napa 1515) , it flows alot more than the stock . Plus I get a extra quart of oil in the system. :)

Moroso also makes a remote adapter that uses the Chevy filter.

I just like the idea of a "bigger filter" it is not as likely to go into bypass like the smaller ones.

Thats How I think I lost to crank trust bearings , IMO. om my last engine(s).

Greg , What do you run on yours ? I can't remember .

PF-24 adadtor(Biggie filter)

Where do you go to get one of those biggie filter adapters?
Anyone modified the remote oil system made for the 84-87 cars to fit ours or is there one available for our cars?

You can get remote oil filter kits though Summit , Jeg's, PAW, ect.

I have mine going up to a after market Oil cooler / tranny Cooler. than to the remote filter and back to the engine.

The cost for the remote oil filter kit is around $40.00 , The cooler was given to me.

Jeez.....I don't know Fred :confused:. I kinda like to use a filter that's readily available almost anywhere, ( even K-mart :rolleyes: ).

If I opt to get a real exotic one, then I'll have to burden myself spending more time on what should take a snap of a finger, (oil changes to me should be like eating at McDonalds).

If this is the case, then I'll forget about 50/50 Redline and crude and just use 10W-30 bargain brand. (Discount Auto Parts a 'fast food' parts franchise south of the Mason Dixon line sells it at .95 cents a quart and it is very good).

In any case I'll keep your suggestion in mind. If I can find it easily, frequently, nearby and not spend a fortune, then it is exactly what I need..... :D

Oh Yeah.....Fred....What is a remote filter? :confused:

The filter I'm useing is a comman one , I use NAPA , becasue I have a part time job there.

But these filters are also almost any where because they're a comman Ford filter.

Re: PF-24 adadtor(Biggie filter)

Originally posted by buick83-T
Where do you go to get one of those biggie filter adapters?
Anyone modified the remote oil system made for the 84-87 cars to fit ours or is there one available for our cars?

Our cars use the same set up as the 84/85 cars. The 86/87 has an adapter for an oil cooler. But all use the same filter stock, so anything that works for them, works for us. :)

To use the Biggie, the 86/87 owners change the nipple on the oil cooler adapter. For all other Buick V6's, we need to change the oil pump cover (aka filter adapter) to the earlier non-Metric part.

USING A LARGER PF-24 OIL FILTER - Contributed by David Chase, Silver6. "After I made the direct fit upgrade for the intercooled cars, I looked for a way to upgrade the rest.  It can easily be done with factory parts.  You don't need a complex kit or special filters.  Running the larger filters allows the option of plugging the filter by-pass valve and providing full filtered oil at all times.  This is not possible with the small filters.

25010469   oil adapter for PF24 filter
22527229   adapter gasket

The adapter is about $50 from a TR friendly dealer and about $90 from a vendor such as TA Performance.  The gasket is about a dollar.  This will allow you to run the larger PF24 sized oil filters in the stock location on the Carb [NA and Turbo] and Hot/Air Turbo engines.  You will see increased oil pressure and your motor will see more filtered oil.  This is a good thing."

Check those number on www.gmpartsdirect.com or Dal at VanDevere Olds. Here is the rest I have on the Oiling system:
http://www.flash.net/~rjgeorge/oilsystem.htm

NAPA 1515 or a AC delco PH1 , thats what My adaptor uses .

I've been using the Bosch PF-52 equivalent most recently...it gives 5psi more oil pressure than the Purolators I used to run. Won't go near a Fram...far too restrictive...DO NOT plug your bypass without going to a biggie kit or remote setup first. The best flowing PF-52 size filters will collapse on the first startup...I speak from experience here...I have just put the finishing touches on my remote setup using dual Ford racing filters and -12AN lines, but I'll never plug the bypass again - dirty oil is far better than no oil. Just keep up with oil changes. When my car was still on the street, 3000 mile intervals were no problem even with the front cam bearing mod. GB

I think whether you have a turbo or NA factors heavily in the decision about the bypass. If something fails like a cam lobe or a bearing, unfiltered oil can quickly kill the turbo seals.

The bypass really becomes a non-factor if running a Biggie and changing oil often. The Biggie will prevent oil from being bypassed and the clean oil will prevent the filter from becoming plugged. (It would take some really, really, nasty oil to block a filter.) So it only becomes important will something bad happens. A blocked off bypass can then save a turbo.

I picked up a NOS GM filter adpater for a Buick 350 at a swap meet. It uses the Biggie PF-24 and already has the bypass blocked by the factory. (Unfortunately the filter sits at an angle that won't fit on a V6.)

I don't know the best way to block the bypass. Somebdy in General Tech would know. I've heard a dime and JB weld works, but I'd rather try something else. ;)

I guess my point is - if there's enough restriction in the filter, whatever it may be, to cause the bypass to open, then there's enough pressure drop to be concerned about causing harm to the engine under load. With the PF-47 or 52 size filters, the bypass will, and needs to be open much of the time just to flow enough oil to survive. With the biggie kits or remote setups, the properly functioning bypass shouldn't open unless something bad has already happened. I don't see the need to block the bypass if the filtration system is flowing 100% of the oil anyway. As an aside...I do see a problem running a HV pump if using the smaller filters as any extra volume would just flow unfiltered through the bypass. GB

:rolleyes: Alright fellas......

You guys got me a little confused, :confused: (too much beer does that to people). Here's what I'm getting: I like the adapter idea for a bigger filter. But I'm hearing Ford filters, Bosch filters, PF-47, 52, 24.....

Do all these filters fit the GM adapter? Or is it that other after-market brands make a compatible adapter which use various larger filters? :D

OK

The Ford Filter I'm using on my car is for a Relocation kit from "TD performance". That I installed on my car. It is not a GM setup.

Back