You can type here any text you want

Oil upgrade....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yes, this can be confusing. I spent several months just finding information to make that simple "Biggie" kit for the intercooled cars. I will cover just four different styles of filters that are used by most Buick turbo owners.

The small Buick filters for the V6 have an 18mm thread and a small diameter sealing ring gasket. All of us can use these in the normal AC sizes of PF 47 and 52.

The large Buick filters for the V8 have a 13/16" thread and a small diameter sealling ring gasket. This is the AC size PF 24 and is the size I selected for my kits with a new adapter bolt used to change the thread sizes.

The large Chevy filters have a 13/16" thread and a large diameter sealing ring gasket.

The large Ford filters have 3/4" thread and a small sealing ring gasket. They are "almost" a direct fit, but the threads are just enough different where some filters will pull right off and some will seem like they fit. Too scary for me.

So, from this you can see the only filters which are direct mount for the Carb/Turbo cars would be the small Buick filters. If you desire to run a large filter, you will need to add some type of adapter system such as the one Fred is using. They only cost about $70 from Summit or PAW. You can get filter mounting adapters for Chevy V8 or for Ford filters, single or double filters too. You can even get ones to run your own turbo feed line, if you desire.

There are several things to consider when you go about changing the filter you put on your motor. Here is just a couple.

The GM style filters we use have an anti-drainback valve to hold oil in the filter after the motor is shut off. This is important for our turbo motors and some brands have better vlaves than others. Not all Ford filters have this feature and you will need to ask. If the parts store can't tell you, get the telephone number of the company from them and call.

GM puts the filter by-pass valve in the block or in the filter adapter, as it is on our V6. Ford puts the by-pass valve in the filter itself. And these by-pass valves have different pressure ratings. The one on our motors is rated about 10PSI and you can find in the Ford filters it can be 6-8PSI. Yes, this means that by using the Ford filters you can have two ways for the oil to by-pass the filter and the one in the filter is set lower than the one you already have. Again, you will need to ask about the filter you intend to use.

Thanks for the schooling David......welcome back! :D

The adapter that GM puts out, (25010469), you had refered to... 'USING A LARGER PF-24 OIL FILTER' ...

Does it readily accept any of the other filters, or is that why you chose a new adapter bolt? (...So you can try others). :)

I looked for a factory oil pump adapter to mount the larger filter directly for the non-intercooled V6 motors. The mount I listed earlier, a lot earlier, will not be a direct fit. It is from the V8 motors and will bolt to the front cover alright, but the filter angle is wrong for our frames.

Please don't use this part number:

25010469 oil adapter for PF24 filter
22527229 adapter gasket

There was a pump adapter for the V6 using the larger PF24 filters, but I believe them to be long gone from GM. I would suggest someone in our Junkyard Dogs look for an older version of the V6 and pull an adapter from one. I just haven't been out looking for a while.

Originally posted by Silver 6
Please don't use this part number:

25010469 oil adapter for PF24 filter
22527229 adapter gasket

Not to drag an old post back from the dead (wish I'd seen this before I ordered that part)... however! I did order it, and the part I got looks suspiciously like a filter adapter for a small block Oldsmobile. It certainly won't bolt to any buick motor I've ever seen.

Any ideas?

Sorry I missed that too. I'll remove it from the website.

Are you sure it's not Buick? If I read what David says above, it's a Buick cover, but with the wrong filter angle to use in a V6 car (the filter will hit the frame). I have a cover like that. I also have a PF-24 size cover that has the correct angle. It was from a 350 V8 application. Either way, I guess it won't fit. :(

Do you want the number for the V6/PF-24 cover? I can dig it out when I get home.

Hey Rich,

Just as a joke I was going to reply to this post let it die, (R.I.P.) !

I'm glad I did'nt. It is rather important we get rid of mis-information. No wonder I was confused. :eek:

But anyway, I never did get the Ruggles mod or the after-market oil upgrade.

Now I have a steady oil pressure reading at idle of 20-25 lbs. I think on another post I listed what I did to achieve this in addition to a total rebuild. :D

Back