ok! need to go faster

guyn

Hi guys, I have a stock '84 GN, and need some speed, on a tight budget, where do I start? Just got beat by 2000 Grand Prix tonight and it pissed me off!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Guy

Try doing a search, you'll find alot....
here's something i posted in a similar thread a few weeks ago:
#1. upgrade the fuel system(pump, afpr, injectors),
#2. get some gauges(oil, water, boost, knock, whatever else),
#3. scanmasterII at least, and TurboLink or Direct Scan would be good too.
#4. some exhaust work would be a good thing to do(up-pipe, downpipe, headers, x-over, no cat, etc.)

Plus an adj wastegate, k&n, good tires, air bag(s)...the list goes on, and go here

For instant power. Get a tank of 110 octane. Make your wastegate rod adjustable and crank it up to 20 psi of boost.

Originally posted by guyn
Hi guys, I have a stock '84 GN, and need some speed, on a tight budget, where do I start? Just got beat by 2000 Grand Prix tonight and it pissed me off!
Thanks, Guy

?? Was that 2000 Grand Prix a supercharged GTP L67 OR a normally aspirated L36 3800 series II?

LEASE a NEW 2003 FORD SVT COBRA and you can wax the Grand prix!!!

REGARDS

Thanks guys, I've been looking into up grades, I'll start with a hot wire kit, my pump is a delco unit but is brand new, do I really need to go to a Walbro 340?, next I'll get a adjustable wastegate and regulator. What injectors will work in a stock configuration with a stock chip? The car that raced me was a 2000 GT not sure if was a GTP but don't think so. I could seem to get the RPMs up to sutain the boost, someone told me it was I was running with only a quarter tank and told me it may have been fuel starvation, but I still would like to be able to eat a 5.0 or two or maybe alittle local rice.
Thanks Guy

Ps to black hawk

The only Fords I run come with a flat head V8, my '40 just does have the power to keep up with these new fangled cars but hey who cares.
Guy

Originally posted by guyn
Thanks, Guy

SOUNDS like your car may be low on boost, DO You have the Digital dash with the IDIOT yellow and orange two stage boost lights?

GET A MECHANICAL boost/vac gauge from JEGS of SUMMIT with a way to mount it INSIDE the car. YOU most will not find one LOCALLY, if you do , it will cost too much.
YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE BOOST PRESSURE, get it up to 15 psi with good gas( sunoco 94)
PUT in a new set of spark plugs, IRIDIUM plugs From NGK are only 6 buck each UR5ix (7177) from summit
GET a adjustable fuel pressure regulator from ANY one of the TURBO regal vendors for just over a hundred bucks, and also get a RAIL mount FUEL pressure GAUGE with it.

USE a # 10 gauge HOT wire from battery or alternator to a NEW 12dc(coil) spst(single pole, signle throw) relay near the fuel pump connector, the BROWN/white wire is the fuel pump wire, CUT IT JUST BEFORE THE multi-pin cable CONNECTOR. Wire relay coil between chassis ground and the non-tank side (feed from engine conmpartment) brown white you cut,
THE tank side brown white goes to one of the relay contacts, the HOT wire goes to the other relay contact.
I intalled a 6amp BACK-up diode with the cathode towards the pump inline where the original wire was cut, Although not neccessory, it provides fail safe operation should the new RELAY crap out.

REGARDS

USE a # 10 gauge HOT wire from battery or alternator to a NEW 12dc(coil) spst(single pole, signle throw) relay near the fuel pump connector, the BROWN/white wire is the fuel pump wire, CUT IT JUST BEFORE THE multi-pin cable CONNECTOR. Wire relay coil between chassis ground and the non-tank side (feed from engine conmpartment) brown white you cut,

AKA hotwire kit.

get the necessities first

Get about 1500 to 2500 bux together and start with the guages. You cannot run a turbo regal with knowing what is happening under that hood. Get the fuel pressure guage for the fuel rail, get a boost guage with at least 20 lbs of boost/vacuum, get a water temp guage, oil pressure guage, and maybe even a battery guage if youre gonna do the hot wire kit immediately. You need some form of scan tool, like the scanmaster, or even a turbolink with a laptop in the car.
After you can monitor the car running at stock, you may begin to modify. I would start with the exhaust immediatley. The pipes on your car are the second most restrictive thing on a regal. First being the stock chip...lol...For the pipe, everyone has good words about ATR-they are kinda pricey, but seems to be worth it. I personally got POSTON ceramic headers and stock everything else, and I can feel a big difference. Get the whole kit though, if you want more performance. Get headers, a big down pipe, maybe a test pipe or a high flow cat, and ATR mufflers or even DYNOMAX....stay away from flowmaster, they dont agree with our cars that much. When you are done with those couple of mods, come back and we can get technical. Good luck!

John