You can type here any text you want

Ok new GN...first mod??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ZCore

Alright I've read here and I can't decide on what mod to do first. I want to do the precautionary mods (I call them) first like the hotwired fuel pump and such. So what would you all recommend to a newbie with a stock car?? I would like to get this car into the mid to low 11s before Spring. So let me know where you would start if you were doing it all over.

One word

Scanmaster or some type of diagnostic tool
Next go to www.gnttype.org and read up on the spring cleaning
procedures for the Turbo Buicks.
Welcome and have fun and be safe
Steve Chambers

Yep already read the spring cleaning and wrote down all the part #s. So I'm set there. So scanmaster first? Where is the best place to buy one from?

Visit the

Advertiser's Specials I think Mike Licht of full throttle speed or something of that title is still running a special.
A scanmaster will hit u for about 250.00
What kind of chip-injectors-turbo-combo are you running, it helps to know where you are now.
Got any baseline times?
Also I got mine from www.ramchargers.com

HTH

Thanks! Is the walbro the best one for someone who wants to eventually be in the 11s?

Don't mean to thread whore, but when is the 340 Walbro not enough and a double pumper needed?

Steve

Sorry to jump in here again. But why wouldnt the power plate be the first mod before a bigger fuel pump. The stock fuel pump CAN handle 12's. And being that your going with your FIRST mod, I dont think you are even there yet. Sure a fuel pump would be safe. But unless you fix the air/fuel distribution problem, youll still be running the front two cylinders rich and the back two cylinders lean. Maybe someone can make more sense of this.

Scott

ya, your right.. again

I still dont have a plate, but that is my next part.

Is the doghouse that they sell a sort of "upgrade" also? or just pretty? or should i port stock one?

Just going from experience on the pump here. The stock pumps are damn near old enough to vote and most are ready to give up the ghost. If you plan on turning up the wick a bit, you have to have the fuel supply to handle it. I ignored the fuel pump advice and experienced detonation at stock levels of boost with a Thrasher chip and AFPR. I was lucky and didn't blow anything. Fuel pump and hot wire kit solved the problem immediately. Scott4DMny, you hit it right on the nose when you said the fuel pump mod would be safe. It really is a better experience if you don't start by blowing and changing head gaskets. Just my opinion - your experiences may be different.

Yeah but

How are you gonna know if you have knock retard at all without that scanmaster.

1st mod in my opinion because its a bitch to tune the car without it. Tune for zero knock with it and start adding mods adjusting tune along the way always for zero KR to play it ultra safe. Then next that stock fuel pump and wiring has got to go.

As far as running low elevens, you've got a long expensive way to go. Gonna need bigger turbo, better intercooler, maybe heads and a lot of tuning and chips or maybe some kinda programmable system etc. etc.

Congrats on the car. Your sure to learn alot and you very rarely see them on the street. Very original and get alot of attention. This forum is an excellent source of info. Good luck.

I'm not even going to say anything about the 'power plate' because I'll end up in trouble. But believe what you wish.

First and most importantly would be a ScanMaster! The one concern you should have is if the car is ALREADY running right. I wish I had a scantool when I first aquired my car, because I knew it didnt feel as strong as it should, and I would have figured the problems out much sooner then I did.

Once you have a scantool, accurate aftermarket boost gauge, and maybe a Casper's knock gauge (for instant responce), then you can start tweaking and 'modding'. Good instrumentation is important with these cars. These engines are fickle and liked to be tuned just right.

Go for the adjustable fuel pressure regulator, the Racetronix pump & hotwire kit first. Proper fueling is a must. Hotwire kit and pump seem scarey first looking at it. My first thoughts were "Oh my God, wiring and dropping the fuel tank!!!" It's a freakin breeze! I'd do it again just for something to do, its so simple. :p

Another thing is, be sure to take care of any preventative maintence first!! Spend money on keeping the car safe, before making it fast. Like me? I still havent done some things, like replace my old high-mile U-joints, balance the shaft and install my safety loop while I'm at it, take care of my noisey camshaft sensor that sounds like its falling apart, along with a few other things. Making sure everything is in good running condition will help prevent breaking stuff.

I'm still pretty new to the TR owners guild, but I'm learning quickly. These are just some of the most important things that I learned early on. Have fun. You own one of the most respected cars on the street. A dying breed. My car can be a pain in the ass, but I still love it. Wouldnt give it up for the world. :D

Originally posted by ZCore
Alright I've read here and I can't decide on what mod to do first. I want to do the precautionary mods (I call them) first like the hotwired fuel pump and such. So what would you all recommend to a newbie with a stock car?? I would like to get this car into the mid to low 11s before Spring. So let me know where you would start if you were doing it all over.

Your first mods aren't going to gain you any performance at all, they will just let you tune the car to what it is capable of.

Scan tool
Fuel pump/hotwire
Valve Spring (trust me, they are shot)
Timing Chain isn't a bad idea either
Boost gauge and knock gauge if you don't have them already
Tuning
Seat time
Tuning
Tuning
More Tuning
A Chip (Depends what you have already)
Even More Tuning

With these things done, you should be in the 12's with some traction adn finally know the car enough to make up your own mind on what to do next.

Back