You can type here any text you want

ok - so global west SFC... what about the steering box brace?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

j13smiley

ok - so i guess the global west SFC are my best chance at stock sfc that will fit. i guess i'm gonna order them.

they mention the steering box brace as well - i've never heard of one of those. anyone tell me where it connects to and how much it helps (ie. is it worth doing with the sfc?).

Here's a lot of reading you can do along with pictures of the wonderbar / steering brace installed. Yes it makes a big difference to stiffen up the steering box area. Unfortunatly we have the IC scoop/duct sitting where the bar cross from one side to the other so it would have to be a custom design (and no one makes one currently). I'm having one done shortly for my TTA and there might be a few avalible if anyone is interested, I'll keep you all posted but they are about 2 month away.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175339&highlight=wonderbar

Originally posted by j13smiley

they mention the steering box brace as well - i've never heard of one of those. anyone tell me where it connects to and how much it helps (ie. is it worth doing with the sfc?).

I have the steering box brace on my car and I have a CAS V4 stretch ic. I had to modify the air duct a small amount but, no big deal. The brace will work with the stock air duct. What I learned from some extensive talks with the Global West folks is, the steering box is the weak spot in the front end, not the strut towers. The towers are a triple layer design and do not flex which is why GW doesn't make a s. tower brace. When you are cornering the box is flexing at the mount so steering is not precise, it also fatigues the box mount and causes cracking there. The brace bolts above your front sway bar, easy install. If you auto cross or like to play around corners the brace is a nice piece to have. If you just run straight line, what's the point but, buy a strut tower brace for the visual at car shows. Kiddin! What I'm saying is, the steering box brace is fuctional and is even better with a few more suspension mods like shocks and springs. Don't forget, your car has been sitting on those stock springs for 16 years. YIKES! :)

Back