You can type here any text you want

ok tell me what going on with my mains?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn231

Money pit
I was using plastigage oh I know not good but all ,I had well all my mains came out with a .0002 reading not good huh,well I put my friends new crank which was cut the same as mine 10/10 and got the same readings so what gives both cranks bad of bad set of bearing? Summit said that some engine builders buy:confused: two to three sets of bearing and mix match them till they get the correct clearances. Not sure whats going on the rods read .0015 which is what I had hoped for the mains.I did torque one main by torquing it then loosening it up and retorquing it and got a better reading so what gives anyone?

just my .02 but why dont you and your bud split the cost on good measuring tools, i.e. micrometer and bore gauges.

You need to torque and loosen the mains 3-4 times before taking your readings with plastigage. Even more important if using studs and you had the studs out. I have had to retorque 6-8 times before readings evened out. Not the norm, but had that happen before. I measure everything with mics and bore guages. It costs some money, but definitely the best way to go.:biggrin:

You didn't put any assembly lube on the back side of the bearings did you? :confused: That would throw off the reading big time.

Back