You can type here any text you want

OK, what's next?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bossman

I've checked all the stock stuff as best I can. The car runs good and accelerates pretty good.(Since I don't know what it's supposed to be like). I get a knock or two in between gears, otherwise it pulls hard.
Does this mean I'm at my performance limit since any increase in boost would mean more knock?
I uso 94 octane and get 25 MPG. Thanx.

OK,

First do you have Boost gauge?

How many pounds of boost are you running before it knocks now?

What timing are you running ?

Have you fatten up or leaned out the secondary on the carburetor? (stock Q-jet ?).

Still running the stock air cleaner assembly ?

Everthing is bone stock right now including the turbo. I've considered the aftermarket boost guage, adjustable wastegate etc..... but is there any point if I'm getting a little knock with the turbo boost stock? Any increase in boost will make the knock worse will it not?

Get the gauge before you do anything else. You have to know where you are at boost wise.

There a number of things you still can do. check out the recipe section at the gnttype website. But get a boost gauge.

Sometimes knocking during shifts isn't boost related. I recently installed a Casper's knock gauge. It's not cheap (~75), but it can't be beat IMO. What I found was that the knock I have happens during the shift, while I would expect true detonation to happen just before the shift. I see it up-shift, down-shift and at different levels of boost. I'm concluding that it is a "false knock" and hoping it's cause by the engine's movement. I have a polyurethane motor mount to install and need to make sure the downpipe isn't touching anything (it likes to rest against the header).

False knock, athough not hramful to the engine, does hurt performance, because the ESC still reatrds the timing.

Listening for knock with your ears is tough. Most is not loud enough to be heard. The good news is that from what I've read from this board, at only 9 psi, these motors can tolerate a fair amount of detonation, unlike a 10-sec car running 20+psi.

Every TR should have at a minimum a boost gauge and some way to monitor knock, IMO. Scan tools are good choice, but a multi-LED gauge like Casper's is better for seeing things "real-time".

Where do I find Casper's and is there much difference between boost guages? I did a search but not much came up comparing guages. Thanx people.

Back