You can type here any text you want

Ol' newby here

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dmarx

Hi folks, joined the list for help with a V-6 turbo engine I just bought. Early turbo V-6, probably from a '79-83? Regal. I plan on putting this engine in a streetrod, 1928 Essex super 6. Here are a couple of questions:

1. How many hp is expected from this engine.
2. Can I change the intake a go with a normaly aspirated carb?
3. If I leave the turbo on the engine, which carb can I use? Can I use an Edelbrock 600 cfm or must it be the original?
4. What would nbe the recommeded Od trans?

TRhat's a start.
Thanks for your assistance

Dan L Marx
Rembert, SC
dlmarx@bellsouth.net

200r4 trans, use stock carb if available, the carb turbo intake is not available in any aftermarket form. If you have an aluminum one, port and polish the hell out of it and the plenum setup. STock hp is 160-180 depending on year. Maybe post pics of the motor we may be able to help or post some casting numbers. They're fun, all of the TB motors. But you have to be patient and take your time.

Welcome aboard Dan. There's several things you can do to get more power out of the early design but they are slightly limited to what you can do. The first thing you need to do is go to the before black website and read everything to get a better idea about the design. BEFORE BLACK Website

Rich George did a great outline about the cars and it will give you more info about how they work.

As far as the carb you have only 2 choices. Factory Q-jet or switching to a Holley. The non CCC carb is the easiest of the two if you can find one or modify one to work like one. If you want to switch to an NA intake and run non turbo you can but Jesse is right about porting the snot out of the intake and heads. Best thing you can do to add power.

The first thing you need to do is identify which version you have and then go from there.

Welcome!
Great choice's on car "Hudson" and engine Buick Drawthru turbo V6!
You can infact change the Intake manifold and run a NA carb setup on this engine the only questionable thing would be how if at all lazy the engine would be without a turbo running the stock cam with a NA intake and carb. In my own experience it was OK I've ran a '83 turbo cam in a 4.1 with the 4bbl intake and carb and it was strong, pulls real good in midrange for NA and stock.

If you stay with the turbo I would do the carb mods to the quadrajet and port and polish everything to get maximum power. I wouldn't go too crazy on the heads but exhaust manifolds, intake, etc. drink some beers and have fun. You may even want to consider going with 4.1 if this car is a little heavier than a regal

Back